Welcome to Yosemite. Don't die.

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Welcome to Yosemite. Don't die.

Post by maverick »

I have done that too with batteries Jim. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

totally works!!
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by gdurkee »

[quote][PS: Rangers don't know because they don't keep track of almost anything./quote]

Oh, say it ain't so!! Heck, that could have been me saying I didn't know of any cases, though don't think I would have said "any." The risk is extremely low. I worked with Bob Derlet on his samples and it was his data which confirmed my general impression that the giardia thing was overblown in the National Parks anyway (where I'm familiar with the hikers and streams). Also, I was editor of Sierra Nature Notes and, with Rockwell's very good paper, got pretty familia with the subject. There is a selection factor in that people who get Giardia are usually out of the backcountry by the time symptoms appear and are diagnosed. Still, I would think hikers would occasionally mention having gotten sick before. In addition, trail crews never treated water and I know of only one actual case of giardia in 40 years (though a number of diarrhea stuff likely related to poor camp hygiene).

That said, late in my career, I got one of those UV pens that we used on main rivers where there were horses. Contrary to what the horse folks say, they DO carry a giardia type that's transmissible to people (a very good study -- never published -- out of Tuolumne showed this to be the case). Check the map. If it's a side stream with no trails above it, it's extremely likely to be good. For most areas at alpine levels, if you have nothing other than boiling, I'd just drink it as is. Bob also speculates that surface water on a lake is likely to be less risky because sun UV would kill anything.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Oh, PS: On the "don't die" subject of the thread, if any of you folks are in Yosemite Valley on (I think) Tuesdays, John Dill of Yosemite Search and Rescue gives a great SAR presentation in the evening. Well worth going to.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

[PS: Rangers don't know because they don't keep track of almost anything./quote]
See, they cannot even put a sentence in a quotation correctly! :lol:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Oh, PS: On the "don't die" subject of the thread, if any of you folks are in Yosemite Valley on (I think) Tuesdays, John Dill of Yosemite Search and Rescue gives a great SAR presentation in the evening. Well worth going to.
Where exactly in the Valley George?

Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

rlown wrote:
After filtering, treat the water with 2 drops of chlorine bleach per quart (liter) of water for 30 minutes in order to kill viruses (which are not removed by filters)
To be more specific the only EPA approved chlorine bleach product for disinfecting contaminated water is Clorox Germicidal Bleach...AKA "God's gift to humanity".

Always keep a fresh bottle within arms reach. :)

:p :nod: :D

JMHO,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Mav: in one of the auditoriums behind the Visitor Center.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

PPS: yeah, the quote thing. I guess beyond my skill level. I put in the [quote][/quote] brackets but, hey, no quote. What's a nerd wannabe to do?? But wait! Solved it. I cut off the bracket. Oooops... .
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mav: in one of the auditoriums behind the Visitor Center.
Thanks. :thumbsup: