Hiking suggestions for an 8 day trek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
marikittens
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Hiking suggestions for an 8 day trek

Post by marikittens »

Hi everyone.

We're a Belgian couple headed for San Francisco on Sept 14th, arriving the next day. We'll probably spend a day with our friends who live there but then head for Yosemite for a hike. We were looking into JMT (like a lot of people probably) but it has some downsides: more than 8 days obviously. not circular, crowded and hard to get a permit for.

So we're looking for suggestions as to what we could do. Let me add some answers to the question list mentioned in this forum:

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails. We went hiking in Nepal, did Manaslu. However, we did use a porter so we travelled lightweight. We did learn a big lesson about taking too much (even though it looked like we packed light, compared to other porters ours was having a stroll (or he made it look that way at least)). I've done some trekking with a heavier pack, but nothing for more than 3 days.

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
I'd say class 2 terrain. I'm pretty sure we can do a river crossing too, although not experienced (well, I've done some trail running where I had to wade through some cold water right up to the crotch, auch). But never any wild currents.

What is your main interest?
No interests in fishing or actual rock climbing. We just want to see some amazing views, be in the mountains and forests and see some wildlife (from a safe distance in the case of bears).
- Lakes
- Forests
- Big Mountain scenery
- Photography

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead? about 8

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers? We usually put in a decent pace, but we want to enjoy the trip. We were easily doing 10 and over in Nepal. That was lighter packed of course, but also constantly gaining altitude. So I'd say about 10

Have you hiked at elevation before? Any prior issues with Altitude Sickness? Yes and yes. Very mild case of it though, and took about a day or 2. keep in mind that we were constantly gaining altitude at the time. And we still both went over 5100m (16700ft) rather well :-)

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop, out and back, point to point. A loop would be nice, but public transport or easy hitchiking are definitely an option too. bonus points for easy travelling from & to SF :-)

Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in (Yosemite, SEKI, western sierra start or eastern start ect.)? Not really. We'll be happy to take advice on must-see parts. We read some good things about SEKI, but anything goes!

Have you hiked in the Sierra Nevada before, if yes, where? Please list a few of your more difficult hikes, so we can then recommend routes based on your experience level. Nope!

Will you be hiking with a dog? Nope. It's just 2 of us.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Hiking suggestions for an 8 day trek

Post by kpeter »

Here are three of my trail reports that might qualify for your requirements.

North Lake/South Lake loop:
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ete#p46912

Loop from Mineral King:
http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... =1&t=16533

Loop through SW Yosemite:
http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... t=yosemite

I took 7 days on these but could have use more layover days on each of them.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Marikittens,

Welcome to HST!

Have you considered doing two 3 night trips, less weight to carry and you get to see two different parts of the Sierra. Agnew>1000 Is Lake>Lake Ediza, Sabrina>Blue Lake>Sailor or Midnight Lake, Big Pine North Fork>Second Lake>Forth Lake>Summit Lake.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I would also suggest checking the weather. Shorter trips allow you an escape if it turns ugly. Benson Lake from Twin Lakes is another good option if you want a longer hike...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Desolation Wilderness is less than 4 hours from SF. The pacific Crest Trail overlooking Lake Aloha and the Crystal Range is considered the second most scenic part of the entire Mexico to Canada trail and this part is only 2-3 hours from the trailhead. The view of Lake Tahoe from the summit of Mount Tallac is spectacular. There are many ways to do loops or lollipop routes in Desolation. You could combine perhaps 6 days backpacking with 2 days at Lake Tahoe. If you go in or out at Echo Lake, you can cut off a few miles by taking the water taxi. Desolation does have a fairly high number of people and you have to get permits. Echo Lake to Meeks Bay passes about 20 alpine lakes.

There are some areas of Emigrant Wilderness with many alpine lakes in scenic territory. Since you're from Belgium, be aware that none of these are Alps sized mountains, but they are quite beautiful. Trailheads into Emigrant are maybe 4.5 hours from SF, although I have friends who tall me they do it in far less time (I suppose their cars have jet engines.)

Here are a couple of maps of Desolation for you to look at.

https://caltopo.com/m/4L3H

https://caltopo.com/m/4H3S

On this map, you could do a loop from Kennedy Meadows, passing Relief Reservior, around the upper sections of this map and back out at Kennedy.

https://caltopo.com/m/0G41

This is another loop in Emigrant that passes many lakes. You can extend or shorten the trip in many ways as you proceed.

https://caltopo.com/m/6M68

The high Sierra peaks that go to 14.000 feet are farther south in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. It will be a longer drive to not only get there, but to reach remote trailheads.
Last edited by Tom_H on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Weather is paramount. You can get stuck in an early season snow-storm. So make sure you have a stable long-range weather forecast before committing to more than a couple of nights in the backcountry. I also think that after mid-September it is prudent to hike from a well-travelled highway that will be plowed and re-opened after an early snowfall. If you use one of the more remote trailheads on dirt forest roads and there is significant snow, your car may be there until the spring melt!

A spectacular September hike in stable weather is to head south from Sonora Pass (4 hour drive from SF) on the Pacific Crest Trail. It quickly climbs up to the top of the crest at 11,000 feet and then runs south almost directly on the crest for many miles with amazing views. This is one of the few long sections that really is the Pacific CREST trail. This section runs over volcanic rock that makes good soil and can often have lush wildflower displays well into September. There is a good camp 10 miles in just west of the PCT at the head of Kennedy Creek (the one that drains west). Then the PCT heads to lower country with a mixture of forest, meadows, and lakes for a day's worth of hiking. Cinko Lake (a couple miles off on a side trail) is a good campsite in this area. Continuing south, the PCT gets back up into the sub-alpine lake basins and crosses into Yosemite National Park at Dorothy Lake. There is excellent camping there, or back north off trail at Helen or one of the other nearby lakes. If you are making really good time and want a longer side trip, continue south on the PCT down Jack Main Canyon and then take the side trail up to camp at beautiful and large Tilden Lake. This lake is low enough to allow campfires. Then head back to Dorothy Lake.

From Dorothy Lake, you start to loop back. Leave the PCT and head north over Bond Pass and down to Snow Lake - excellent camp at the far south end, and then a good trail over to check out Bigelow and Black Bear Lakes. From Snow Lake, head north toward Emigrant Meadow Lake that was part of a major emigrant wagon train route in the 1860s! There are campsites away from the wet meadows on the benches above the lake on the east side. Take a side trip down to Emigrant Lake to admire lots of bare granite domes and ridges. You might also like a side trip up to Lost Lake, perched dramatically on the lip of the Kennedy Creek canyon. To complete your loop, head up to High Emigrant Lake (either back on the trail or directly cross-country up the slope from Emigrant Meadow Lake) and then take the old abandoned jeep road directly over the top of peak 10825. The trail is wide and well graded, but the scenery is really dramatic! You end up back at the first night's camp at the head of Kennedy Creek. The final day, you repeat the high traverse on the PCT back to Sonora Pass.

This loop could be anywhere from 5 to 8 days depending on how fast you hike and how many side trips you take to look at lake basins. It spends a lot of time in the high sub-alpine region, and the four times I have been in the region I have seen few other hikers. Be aware that some of the high country meadows on this loop are grazed by range cattle under the Forest Service multiple use philosophy (yes, grazing is allowed even in designated wilderness areas if it is "historic") so be sure to filter or treat all water. You pick up your wilderness permit on the way up at the ranger station right on the highway at the Pinecrest "Y" and there are no quotas and thus no reservations needed. Oh, and although there are bear in this area (we even saw one at the top of Peak 10825!) they aren't like the Yosemite bears and bear canisters are not required; but still I find canisters more convenient than trying to hang food properly, especially up in sub-alpine areas with smaller trees. You aren't allowed to make any campfires in this area above 9,000 feet (9,600 feet in Yosemite Park), which is practically the entire loop. Once you see how much bare rock and how few trees there are, you'll understand the reason for this prohibition.

-Phil
marikittens
Topix Novice

Post by marikittens »

Wow! Just wow!
Love this community and hereby promise to post a report once we're back.
Will go through this thoroughly this evening and let you know what we decided, or come back with more questions :-)
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

we have a long list of trips and destinations on our website...in my signature line. Poke around and have fun!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
marikittens
Topix Novice

Post by marikittens »

It's going to be Rae Lakes Loop, if we manage to get to the trailhead without renting a car and leaving it there for 5 days...

Thanks for all the input! Report will follow somewhere October!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If you do Rae Lakes loop, be sure to do a side-trip to 60 Lakes Basin. Another very scenic side-trip is Lake Reflection. You can do it from Junction Meaodw. Rae Lakes loop is short, so you will have plenty of time for these side trips. You may also want to go over to Kearsarge Lakes- very scenic.