Recommendation for 4-6 night hike for summer 2018?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
marysusername
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Recommendation for 4-6 night hike for summer 2018?

Post by marysusername »

Hello!

I'm starting to think about summer 2018 backpacking trips and was hoping for some recommendations. I've always gone with at least one other person, but next summer it looks like I might be going on my first solo trip(s).

So, about my experience level/interests:
I'm definitely a Level 2 hiker. I've only ever hiked on trails. So I guess that puts me in the Class 1 terrain comfort zone for backpacking. I never thought I was scared of water crossings until this year when they were so darn swift and high. Hopefully next year they're more normal and go back to being a non-issue for me. I'm also not awesome at snow -- even with microspikes I seem to fall down a lot more than everyone else. This may be a general clumsiness thing.

I don't fish or climb; I'm just looking for some pretty lakes and great views. I love taking photos but I don't bring fancy equipment (just a point-and-shoot).

I'm ideally looking for a trip in the 4-6 night range. My sweet spot for daily mileage is 8-10. I've never done a trip with a layover day for exploring, but I'm definitely open to the kind of trip that would lend itself to that.

I've spent a good proportion of my backpacking trip days either traveling through or camping in the 10,000-12,000 ft. range, and depending on how dedicated I was when it came to acclimatizing before starting, I've had anywhere from no altitude problems whatsoever to some nausea to one time a pretty severe loss of appetite. Nothing that prevented me from continuing, but definitely made meal times more of a force-feeding than I'd like.

In terms of route logistics, loops and lollipops are always nice, but I'm not opposed to an out-and-back. Since I'll probably be by myself, a point-to-point is more logistical trouble than I'm down for this time.

I don't have a specific region in mind. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface, and have tons more exploring to do in the places I've been as well as places I haven't. I will add that unlike many backpackers, being on popular trails doesn't bother me in the slightest. It might even be a plus for a first-time solo.

I've done all my backpacking in the Sierras. My hardest (completed) trip was probably the North Lake South Lake Loop, which I LOVED, although that road up to North Lake pushed my poor non-AWD compact car to its limits. This year we tried to do the JMT starting at Lyell Canyon, but bailed out at VVR. I quit after a dodgy crossing of the North Fork of Mono Creek that scared the crap out of me (it was mid-July and the current seemed stronger than I was, particularly after tuckering myself out with a snowy pass that morning.) I've also done the Rae Lakes Loop, which was probably my favorite trip thus far; an attempt at Mt. Langley from Cottonwood Lakes (abandoned because my fellow hikers' altitude sickness, but I felt fine); and a lovely 5-day lower-altitude jaunt through Emigrant Wilderness.

OK I think I answered all the suggested bullet points. Thanks for taking the time to read this and, if you have any ideas, for suggesting a trip!

-Mary
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Recommendation for 4-6 night hike for summer 2018?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are shuttle services on the east side, that work well, but are expensive. Would you be willing to spend $60 - $100 or so on a shuttle, in order to do a point-to-point? If you are willing to hitch-hike a short distance from the trailhead to Bishop or Mammoth Lakes, you can then use YARTS to return to many trailheads along Tioga Pass or in Yosemite Valley. Is this something you would consider?

All I am saying is that you do not need to totally rule out a point-to-point just because you go solo.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

How far are you willing to travel? I am further north in the Lassen area, so I am biased to the northern part of the state.
Are you willing to add a mountain bike leg to a trip? A previously stashed bike can sometimes be used to return to a starting point.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Cycle_Babble
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cycle_Babble »

Mary, have you considered an out-and-back on the High Sierra Trail? My husband and I did a hike there a couple of weeks ago, and although we incorporated a loop over Elizabeth Pass, the first part of our hike was an out-and-back to Precipice Lake. The trail is what some would say is crowded, but if I were traveling solo, I would consider it comforting. And the scenery is so stunning, we were delighted to see it twice (especially since the going-back part was downhill).
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

How many days did that in-and-out via HST take? The poster requested a 4-6 night trip. I asssumed you started your return at Junction Meadow via Colby Pass trail rather than go up to Whitney and back.
Cycle_Babble
Topix Novice

Post by Cycle_Babble »

Actually, I'm not recommending our loop, which was 5 nights starting and returning at Wolverton via HST to Precipice and back, turning north at the Elizabeth Pass trail, down Deadman Canyon, and across Tablelands. But if I were solo, I would enjoy a 4 or 5 night trip starting at Crescent Meadow with nights at 9-mile, Hamilton Lake, Lower Precipice (nero day or a packless day up to Kaweah Gap), and returning with nights at Buck Creek and/or Merhten Creek (depending on the response to the downhill advantage). One could easily make the pace/mileage more aggressive or more relaxed, depending on desired aspects of the hike.

I'm working on a TR to post here soon, hopefully!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Yes, much more rasonable for 4-6 nights if you do not go all the way to the Kern River before returning. Tablelands is off trail- not sure the person posting wants to do off-trail.

By chance, were you in the group I met at Big Bird Lake a few weeks ago?
Cycle_Babble
Topix Novice

Post by Cycle_Babble »

Wasn't me, but I wish it had been--that would have been lovely to meet you! We were at Big Bird Lake on 9/14, and we didn't see a soul that day.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I was there 9/16 - just missed you by 2 days! I am definitely going back to Big Bird Lake.
Cycle_Babble
Topix Novice

Post by Cycle_Babble »

Wow, amazing how small the world can be! Big Bird Lake was fairy-tale idyllic. Wish I had spent more time there. On the list for a repeat visit!