Sequoia & Kings Canyon - Campsite research

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
stewarth
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Sequoia & Kings Canyon - Campsite research

Post by stewarth »

Hi all,

First time poster. This site/forum has been a great tool for helping me research and plan a 2018 trip to Sequoia & Kings Canyons for Scouts. We have three to four routes drafted for three different hiking patrol capabilities, readiness and permit availability.

Route 1 - General Sherman Tree TH, Alta Trail, High Sierra Trail to Hamilton Lake, down to Redwood Meadow, then out via Middle Fork Trail
Route 2 - Big Meadows, Comanche Meadow, Lost Lake, Ranger Lake, Silliman Pass, Twin Lakes, Lodgepole
Route 3 - Big Meadows, Sugarloaf Trail, Elizabeth Pass Trail, Lone Pine Meadow, then out via High Sierra Trail
Route 4 - Rae Lake Loop

I've yet to find a source of information that helps address the one of my biggest open questions, campsite location/descriptions and sizing for number of tents eg: 5-6. I've mapped all the bear boxes which gives me a good idea of some campsites, and plotted others per below based on trip reports and other sources.

I'm looking for a source of information on campsite location, size. If one doesn't exist, then personal experience to fit a Patrol of Scouts 11-12 in size would be helpful.

Campsites options
- Mehrten Creek, Nine Mile Crk, Buck Creek along High Sierra Trail, open questions on camping along Middle Fork Trail
- Rowall Meadow (or just before), Comanche Meadow, Ranger Meadow (Deadmans Caynon), Lone Pine Meadow (Tamarack Lake)
- Ranger Lake, Seville Lake, Clower Creek/Cahoon Gap,
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sequoia & Kings Canyon - Campsite research

Post by Flamingo »

Hi @stewarth, Welcome to HST!

What time of year is your scout trip?

My advice is to avoid the High Sierra Trail west of Hamilton Lake if you're with a big group and you are planning to camp. This western section of the High Sierra Trail is very popular, and the campsite options for groups are very limited/nonexistent. Mehrten Creek, Nine Mile Creek, and Buck Creek are all popular in the summer; on past trips I've struggled to find space for just my tent at these places, let alone 5-6 tents. The one exception is at Bearpaw Meadow (not listed in your campsite options), which can accommodate groups. Also, Tamarack Lake is great for groups; if you plan to exit directly from Tamarack without camping, then please ignore all this advice.

Best of Luck!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Modified route 2. Would be a loop trip. Sunset Meadow th, Seville lake, lost lake, ranger lake, twin lakes, and out to Sunset Meadow. Plenty of campsites at each and fun fishing at Seville and lost lakes. Relatively short days with lots of camp time, fishing, and swimming, camp fires allowed, too.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

oldranger wrote:Modified route 2. Would be a loop trip. Sunset Meadow th, Seville lake, lost lake, ranger lake, twin lakes, and out to Sunset Meadow. Plenty of campsites at each and fun fishing at Seville and lost lakes. Relatively short days with lots of camp time, fishing, and swimming, camp fires allowed, too.
Agreed. An added bonus is that it's off all major populated trails so you'll have an easier time getting permits and more peace and quiet. Having the scouts spend every night at a "destination" (lake) makes it feel like they've accomplished something instead of camping along a pretty trail.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Modified route 2.

:thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
stewarth
Topix Novice

Post by stewarth »

Flamingo,

Thanks for the input, we would be hiking July 2018. Sounds like the best option is to hike through from Crescent Meadow or other TH to Bearpaw, and vice a versa on the return for one of the Patrols.
Flamingo wrote:Hi @stewarth, Welcome to HST!

What time of year is your scout trip?

My advice is to avoid the High Sierra Trail west of Hamilton Lake if you're with a big group and you are planning to camp. This western section of the High Sierra Trail is very popular, and the campsite options for groups are very limited/nonexistent. Mehrten Creek, Nine Mile Creek, and Buck Creek are all popular in the summer; on past trips I've struggled to find space for just my tent at these places, let alone 5-6 tents. The one exception is at Bearpaw Meadow (not listed in your campsite options), which can accommodate groups. Also, Tamarack Lake is great for groups; if you plan to exit directly from Tamarack without camping, then please ignore all this advice.

Best of Luck!
stewarth
Topix Novice

Post by stewarth »

Thanks Mike.

I took a look at your suggestion and figured we could loop back via Jennie Lake to the Big Meadow TH. Another idea for us to consider is having two of the Patrols do a cross over on this loop. Thanks to all for the input.
oldranger wrote:Modified route 2. Would be a loop trip. Sunset Meadow th, Seville lake, lost lake, ranger lake, twin lakes, and out to Sunset Meadow. Plenty of campsites at each and fun fishing at Seville and lost lakes. Relatively short days with lots of camp time, fishing, and swimming, camp fires allowed, too.
dprice1
Topix Novice

Post by dprice1 »

Did a 2017 loop with 12 Scouts that started on your route#3. We had no issues with campsites (we camped alone at Sugarloaf and Ranger Meadows) until we hit the HST at buck creek where we squeezed in with a solo HST hiker. We leave early, go fast and light so as to arrive early at campsites and that usually insures site options at planned campsites. Great hiking for the boys!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

stewarth wrote:Thanks Mike.

I took a look at your suggestion and figured we could loop back via Jennie Lake to the Big Meadow TH. Another idea for us to consider is having two of the Patrols do a cross over on this loop. Thanks to all for the input.
Having worked in the area for 9 seasons I would still recommend Sunset Meadow as the point of departure and finish point over Big Meadow. The diversion to Jennie lake is fine but retrace the spur and return to Sunset Meadow.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
stewarth
Topix Novice

Post by stewarth »

oldranger wrote:
stewarth wrote: Having worked in the area for 9 seasons I would still recommend Sunset Meadow as the point of departure and finish point over Big Meadow. The diversion to Jennie lake is fine but retrace the spur and return to Sunset Meadow.
Mike, I see the Rowell Meadow TH which is the TH I think you're suggesting. There is a access road 13S14 near Sunset Meadow to this TH, if I'm right. Our plan was to camp at Big Meadows which is at 7500' altitude to help acclimatize, with one hiking patrol departing from here also.

Here are some additional questions as I really appreciate your input based on experience, but also would like clarity.

Why are you suggesting Rowell Meadow over Big Meadow TH?
If we did loop around to Jennie Lake via the JO Pass, are you suggesting we back track to JO Pass and head North via 30E11 trail back to Rowell Meadow TH? Our preference is to hike established trails, versus go cross country. Although if you know of trails/routes not mapped....I'd be open to hearing the ideas.

Regards

Stewart