Short backpacking trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
nstd
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Short backpacking trip

Post by nstd »

Recommend any short backpacking trips to introduce my 4 years old to? Maybe a mile or two hike in to set up camp. Thanks!

camp fire and fishing is a plus!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Short backpacking trip

Post by freestone »

The Big Pine walk in camp. The creek just above the camp still has fish.

Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

In Yosemite, the shortest trip along those lines is May Lake, where you share the lake with the High Sierra Camp--but that also means you have toilets, drinking water----you might even be able to get dinner!

Near Carson Pass there are a couple of lakes (Winnemucca and Round Top) that are within about a mile and a half of the trailhead.

Little Lakes Valley on the East Side has lots of options --and lots of dayhikers in the same areas. So does the Virginia Lakes Trailhead, and Green Lakes.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Little Lakes Valley, easy hiking, several lakes with creeks connecting them all. That seems a perfect place to take a little one.

John
fishwrong
Topix Regular

Post by fishwrong »

Winnemucca Lake from Carson Pass on Hwy 88. Easy hike, campfires OK, brook trout, good scenery but limited camping sites and busy day traffic. Get a reservation.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Saddlebag Lake Area...a ferry to the far side - no quotas, 20 lakes on a loop and camp anywhere - (just do as far as he can go)...good fishing...great stars.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Little Lakes Valley!!! :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
flyman
Topix Newbie

Post by flyman »

Little Lakes Valley, Awesome area.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Sky Camp at Point Reyes. Also, walking from the parking lot along the beach to Coast Camp is a bit longer, but the little one might enjoy the surf en route to camp.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I would love to take my grandkids to Coast Camp at Point Reyes, but my daughter says "no" because one is sensitive to poison oak. Rignt now it is all over, oily and sensitive people can even get it without actually touching it. I think Pt Reyes is a great place for kids. The hike up to Glen Camp is not even that bad as long as you take it slowly. One neat way to get to Coast Camp is to walk on the beach from Liminator Beach. Could also bicycle to Coast Camp.

The length of the drive is also a factor. Most kids are not keen on a 5 hour ride to the trailhead. Also would not take a small child during mosquitoes on their first trip. Avoid camping near fast running streams. Some good short hikes from South Lake. Bull Lake is not as crowded as Long Lake. Green Lake (Hoover Wilderness) is also good, as long as you go later in the season.