Quick question about the lakes below Kearsarge Pass.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tanngrisnir3
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Quick question about the lakes below Kearsarge Pass.

Post by tanngrisnir3 »

We'll be there this Sunday, leaving on Monday, essentially to try out a new backpack for my wife and see how she does with shorter, non-intensive hikes at altitude.

That said, never having been there myself, and having gone all over Flickr, 500px and the like, can anyone who's been there recommend which of the lakes offers the most photographic potential? Most decent shots I've seen tend to be of Matlock, but then most shots overall seem to be of Matlock. Maybe that should be telling me something?

Anyhow, once there, we'll scramble all over the place, including the unnamed ones, but it would be nice to know, in advance, of where our time would be better spent.

Thanks!

T3
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Quick question about the lakes below Kearsarge Pass.

Post by cgundersen »

T3,
Yep, I think Matlock is your best bet. However, sans pack, it's not a bad jaunt to the Kearsarge (pass) ridge and the long-range views from there can be sublime.....if the smoke from the fire south of Mammoth does not impinge.\
cg
tanngrisnir3
Topix Acquainted

Post by tanngrisnir3 »

cgundersen wrote:T3,
Yep, I think Matlock is your best bet. However, sans pack, it's not a bad jaunt to the Kearsarge (pass) ridge and the long-range views from there can be sublime.....if the smoke from the fire south of Mammoth does not impinge.\
cg
Thanks! I just stumbled upon some shots of the one right above it, Bench Lake, and it looks like there could be great payoff for simply hiking up another 300' or so.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Yep, I think Matlock is your best bet.
:nod:

May consider taking her to Little Lakes Valley too. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tanngrisnir3
Topix Acquainted

Post by tanngrisnir3 »

maverick wrote:
Yep, I think Matlock is your best bet.
:nod:

May consider taking her to Little Lakes Valley too. :nod:
That's on the list, too, as a big bang-for-the-buck option.

My choices are the South Lake/Sabrina Lake basins, but we'll get to those, along with Humphreys, by the end of Fall.
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Solace-seeker »

tanngrisnir3 wrote:We'll be there this Sunday, leaving on Monday, essentially to try out a new backpack for my wife and see how she does with shorter, non-intensive hikes at altitude.

That said, never having been there myself, and having gone all over Flickr, 500px and the like, can anyone who's been there recommend which of the lakes offers the most photographic potential? Most decent shots I've seen tend to be of Matlock, but then most shots overall seem to be of Matlock. Maybe that should be telling me something?

Anyhow, once there, we'll scramble all over the place, including the unnamed ones, but it would be nice to know, in advance, of where our time would be better spent.

Thanks!

T3
I agree Matlock.
apeman45
Topix Acquainted

Post by apeman45 »

I really like the view from Kearsarge Pass but that's a 10 mile round trip. I had knee replacement surgery 4.5 months ago and chose the hike to Matlock to test out the new knee. I was there 2 weekends ago and on this side of the pass I think Matlock is the most scenic that can be reached by trail. It's an easy day hike and not many people go to Matlock. The Kearsarge Pass trail will be very crowded but not the side trail to Matlock. You will also get to enjoy the amazing Foxtail pines on this hike. They only grow here. Made a couple of videos of my trip up there if you want a little preview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdJQ5BZ_40k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4on89Qd8DNY
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

I want to put in a good word about Bench Lake. There are a few smaller lakes around it that were fantastic for swimming, and it is very scenic. Perfect JMT zero day experience.
john-muir-trail-kristene.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tanngrisnir3
Topix Acquainted

Post by tanngrisnir3 »

CAMERONM wrote:I want to put in a good word about Bench Lake. There are a few smaller lakes around it that were fantastic for swimming, and it is very scenic. Perfect JMT zero day experience.
john-muir-trail-kristene.jpg
Oh, yeah, I'll definitely be making the 300' or so scramble up to Bench. Found some pretty good pics of it online here: http://inyoportal.blogspot.com/2013/06/ ... -peak.html and that piques my curiosity as a photographer.

I just hope I don't lose too much blood volume from the mosquitoes.
tanngrisnir3
Topix Acquainted

Post by tanngrisnir3 »

apeman45 wrote:I really like the view from Kearsarge Pass but that's a 10 mile round trip. I had knee replacement surgery 4.5 months ago and chose the hike to Matlock to test out the new knee. I was there 2 weekends ago and on this side of the pass I think Matlock is the most scenic that can be reached by trail. It's an easy day hike and not many people go to Matlock. The Kearsarge Pass trail will be very crowded but not the side trail to Matlock. You will also get to enjoy the amazing Foxtail pines on this hike. They only grow here. Made a couple of videos of my trip up there if you want a little preview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdJQ5BZ_40k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4on89Qd8DNY
Checking them out now. Thanks!