Kearsarge Pass & Rae Lakes Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wmclemore01
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Kearsarge Pass & Rae Lakes Loop

Post by wmclemore01 »

Hi - I am new to the area and looking for some insight into a trip plan. I appreciate any thoughts, advice or recommendations for this route.

I have 2 permits for 6 days in the month of August to start at Kearsarge Pass TH.

My initial thoughts are departing Onion Valley and intersecting Rae Lakes Loop heading clockwise and back out Kearsarge pass. Trying to keep my travel days around 7.5 to 9 miles and Day 4 around 3500 being the most incline.

Day 1 - Staying somewhere around Lower Vidette Meadows Junction
Day 2 - Staying somewhere around Budds creek and Sphinx Creek intersection
Day 3 - Staying around Middle Paradise Valley
Day 4 - Stay around Dollar Lake
Day 5 - Staying at Charlotte Lake
Day 6 - Out through Kearsarge Pass

Thanks again for any help
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kearsarge Pass & Rae Lakes Loop

Post by AlmostThere »

The Bubbs/Sphinx Creek intersection has two bear lockers. The other campsite is across the bridge and up the hill a little, look for the obvious use trail to the left. The campsite right on the trail is big, but also gets crowded.

You may find that day 3 is the hardest, because you will be dropping very low in elevation and climbing back out as you go up the hill to Paradise -- it can be really hot in Kings Canyon. I was in one of the campgrounds a few weeks ago and it was 90F at 9 pm. The trails with exposed sections crossing granite can be quite taxing. Make sure to have plenty of water for that climb, it's not always possible to access the river along that trail.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would recommend rather staying at Rae Lakes for two nights (Dragon Lake for 1 of them), then go stay 2 nights in 60 Lakes Basin, and then 1 night at Kearsarge Lakes on the way out, much more scenic, Paradise is okay, but the hike up Bubb's to me is not.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would recommend rather staying at Rae Lakes for two nights (Dragon Lake for 1 of them), then go stay 2 nights in 60 Lakes Basin, and then 1 night at Kearsarge Lakes on the way out, much more scenic, Paradise is okay, but the hike down Bubb's to me is not.

PS Welcome to HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by happycamper0313 »

maverick wrote:Would recommend rather staying at Rae Lakes for two nights (Dragon Lake for 1 of them), then go stay 2 nights in 60 Lakes Basin, and then 1 night at Kearsarge Lakes on the way out, much more scenic, Paradise is okay, but the hike down Bubb's to me is not.

PS Welcome to HST!
This is a great plan and you should take this advice. Rae Lakes and 60 Lakes Basin are the places you should spend most of your time with 4 nights.

I just did an overnight from Onion Valley over Kearsarge and to Rae Lakes - it's a leg buster to get to the destinations and back, so meandering around those two lake areas will give you ample rest to get back to OV.

It's Friday and I am still feeling my weekend hike. Glen Pass is no joke and not very friendly to the feet/ankles, although the views are some of the BEST :) Wish I had time to make it to 60 Lakes.

Be sure to report back!
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

I agree with Maverick too,

For instance, Charlotte Lake is OK, but it would be a shame not to camp at the other lakes that are spectacular nearby (Kearsarge, Rae, and 60- Lakes)
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mkbgdns »

agree w mav. have gone out of kearsarge, and spent a week noodling around kearsarge lakes, rae lakes, dragon lake, sixty lakes basin. spectacular high country without the trudge up bubbs and woods creeks. I've also done the loop, this is more bang for the buck.