TR: Mount Brewer and Beyond, Aug 30 - Sept 4, 2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Mount Brewer and Beyond, Aug 30 - Sept 4, 2018

Post by BigMan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:42 am

Thanks for a very enjoyable report.
Flamingo wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:50 pm
I continued down and encountered people for the first time in three days. A small group was camped on the north shore of East Lake, hidden in the trees.
Hee hee. That was me (and a couple of neighbors) enjoying an easy day. I broke camp at 2:30pm and hiked up to Lake Reflection, where I camped (in solitude) that night. Honored to be the first person you saw after 3 days. :)
Flamingo wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:50 pm
...tiny black flies danced in my face and taunted me as I climbed.
They followed you, too? :)

At times it seemed there were about 25 of them in front of my face. I had to go into a deep Zen practice just to stay sane. Funny, when I stopped moving, they went away. I had to remind myself not to be mad at bugs for being bugs.

In wilderness lies the hope of the world.

rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:44 am

This has definitely been a Longley Pass year! :)

And a very gourmet trip report. Some cooking samples:
On my stove, I steamed bell pepper slices, tuna, and then boiled moroheiya noodles with red chili flakes and a splash of olive oil.

I ate a lunch: pita bread, sliced egg, apple, and two mandarins.

...prepared a delicious dinner of lentil beans, steamed broccoli, and fried purple onions.

I rested and ate the last piece of fresh fruit in my bag: a giant fuzzy peach, probably one pound in size. It tasted like heaven.
I couldn’t help but envision one of your sentences in jest: As backcountry chefs have said before, the smell and taste of seasonal and organic food is scrumptious.

Bon Appetit! :yummy:

P.S. The picture of your tent beneath Mount Brewer's east face is divine.

LonePine
Topix Novice

Post by LonePine » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:13 pm

Flamingo, really enjoyed your report and pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:13 pm

@BigMan -- Nice. Your campsite looked awesome. HST needs an arm band, flag, or secret bird call to indicate we're members in the wild.

@rightstar76 -- haha, yes it was a very culinary backpacking trip for me. I'm glad you enjoyed the TR.
Last edited by Flamingo on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

cgundersen
Topix Expert

Post by cgundersen » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Flamingo,
Dang, I'm envious of the relative ease you had getting up to Sphinx basin. I hope I made enough bad decisions going down that route in June to last for 5 years. Or, maybe it was just payback for the preceding 5 years? But, the real clincher was the melt out on Longley. Relative to the pile earlier, that was barely enough to chill a cocktail! Thanks for the entertaining report! Cameron

BigMan
Topix Regular

Post by BigMan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:21 pm

I'm inspired by your willingness to carry heavy, "real" food. I may have to try this.

During my last two trips I've suffered from IBS after about 7 days. I can't eat much of anything without stomach irritation. And most of my calories come from re-hydrated grains, beans, veggies, and pasta. I think my body is just done with backpacking food after 7 days. That, combined with the altitude. And being 46 years old.

When I get off the trail, I eat a huge cheeseburger, chili cheese fries, a Coke, and ice cream... and my tummy feels great. :)

BigMan
Topix Regular

Post by BigMan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:33 pm

Flamingo wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:13 pm
@BigMan -- Nice. Your campsite looked divine. HST needs an arm band, flag, or secret bird call to indicate we're members in the wild.
:)

A few tidbits:

Did you see a tent set up at "the point" at Lake Reflection? I met a climbing duo when I arrived there. They were just returning from a summit of Thunder Mtn. It was 5:30pm and they said they were leaving to hike 10 miles to set up for their next climb.

On the trail from East Lake to Lake Reflection I also met a solo backpacker coming down from Milly's Foot Pass. He said it was "awful" and he'll "never do it again."

Two days earlier I overheard one experienced climber telling another climber about a recent trip. He said "we summited Stanford, then we thought about summiting Ericsson, but we looked up at Harrison Pass and said 'no f-ing way.'"

Experienced mountain climbers saying "no f-ing way" to Harrison Pass. :lol:

Harlen
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:29 pm

What a really fine solo trip Flamingo! You pulled it off with guts and style. All the best, Harlen.