Planning a trip 6/24 - 6/27 -- suggestions?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dki
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Planning a trip 6/24 - 6/27 -- suggestions?

Post by dki »

With all the snow this month, my friends and I are rethinking our trip to Thousand Island Lake (from the Rush Creek TH, or Agnew or Red's TH depending on walk in permit availability). There was another possibility of going from Red's (pending walk in permits avail) to Yosemite along the JMT. Would any of this still be plausible for a late June (6/24-6/27) trip, or would the trails / passes be quite difficult because of the snow? We'd prefer not to hike thru snow for several miles a day. I generally avoid early season trips for this reason, but this year I can only go during this time period.

Are there any other places you would recommend or suggest for a 3-4 day trip in late June? We did think of Yosemite, which Ive backpacked in early season once along the north rim, and it was fabulous! So we're thinking we just need to find similar lower elevation areas.

Thanks in advance!

Info:
What level of backpacking experience do you have?

Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails
Level 3- Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel (only for field work)

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 1 terrain/trail hiking -- comfortable
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country -- comfortable
- Class 3 terrain/pass/x-country -- uncomfortable
- River crossings -- it depends
- Snow travel/Glacier crossings -- uncomfortable

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Forests
- Big Mountain scenery

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead?
-- 4 days, 3 nights

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers?
-- 7-10 miles/day; 1 layover day would be great!

Have you hiked at elevation before? Any prior issues with Altitude Sickness?
-- Yes, and never had any issues

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop, out and back, point to point (which may require 2 vehicles or hitchhiking)?
-- loop or point-to-point

Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in (Yosemite, SEKI, western sierra start or eastern start ect.)?
-- not particularly. i used to spend a lot of time in tahoe (desolation) because my friends live in south lake tahoe, but havent explored other wildnerness areas there, which would be neat to do.

Have you hiked in the Sierra Nevada before, if yes, where? Please list a few of your more difficult hikes, so we can then recommend routes based on your experience level.
-- yes -- many trips, mostly in desolation wilderness, some in eastern sierra golden trout, join muir. None of my trips have been difficult (not because I'm in tip top shape; I tend to avoid going when I know climate or trail conditions will add difficulty I'm not comfortable with), some just downright leisurely. The most difficult backpacking trip i did was not in the sierras-- it was mauna loa summit, and the most recent difficult hike I did was Mount Baldy. I would like something that isnt as strenuous as those. Moderate is fine. Leisurely also fine, like hiking into Desolation from the glen alpine trail or something similar.

Will you be hiking with a dog?
-- unfortunately no
Last edited by dki on Sun May 26, 2019 1:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Planning a trip 6/24 - 6/27 -- suggestions?

Post by maiathebee »

Maverick is probably going to ask you to read this + provide the relevant info: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=4205

How are you planning to get to the east side? If you live in the bay and are planning to take 120, you might not be able to since Tioga Pass might not yet be open. In 2017 the road didn't open until June 29. The Reds Meadow road is slated to open June 15, so if you can get to the east side you should be able to get to Reds trailheads.

There will absolutely still be lots of snow all over Ansel Adams wilderness during your dates. Donahue Pass will certainly have plenty of snow on it, and depending on what trail you take you may have a lot of snow along the trail. The High Trail (PCT) is more exposed with southern exposure too, so it melts out sooner than the shaded JMT / Shadow Creek trails in that area. But if you're not psyched about snow I'd say you should stick to lower elevations on the west side. Going to Yosemite Valley area would be a nice idea. I just wrote up a trip along the south side (Pohono), and Wandering Daisy has made a very thorough post about good trips to do in May, which still will be relevant in June in this heavy snowpack year.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
dki
Topix Novice

Post by dki »

Thanks maiathebee! (Now I have that theme song stuck in my head :) I'll definitely edit my orinal post to include the necessary info and check out your recent yosemite TR and wandering daisy's early season trip suggestions.

One of us is coming from the east bay, and my friend and I from the LA area (planning to go up the 395 if we stick to inyo NF entry points), and I forgot that Tioga might still be closed for the east bay friend! Thanks for the reminder!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It isn't much further to hit 50 and go through Tahoe and drop down to 395 if 120 isn't open. Actually, as I live in the North Bay, it is my preferred route.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

rlown wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:46 pm It isn't much further to hit 50 and go through Tahoe and drop down to 395 if 120 isn't open. Actually, as I live in the North Bay, it is my preferred route.
It's an extra 65 miles (25%) from where I live in Oakland. Oakland --> Mammoth is 250 miles via 120 and 315 via 50.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

All depends on 580 traffic, which is generally bad these days. I go 80 to 50.
It isn't about shortest distance anymore, it is about traffic patterns and moving at a reasonable pace.
Going 580 once to get to 99 and Kennedy meadows it took 6 1/2 hrs to get there. Coming home, I heard there was an accident on 580, so I took 12 to 80. Made it home in 3 hrs.

If 120 is closed anyway, the point is moot.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would not count on the road down to Agnew/Red's to be open by your trip. Didn't open till 7/20 in 2017, in a similar snow year.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

If you're dead-set on no snow in June, you'll need to drop elevation. Thousand Island Lake will look like every other lake in June, snowy & mostly frozen.

Try Yosemite, or something in the Emigrant. Kibbie Lake is probably the earliest destination, you can often hike in snow free in April. Tons of options though.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
dki
Topix Novice

Post by dki »

Thanks everyone for your tips & suggestions. I saw a thread about Emigrant earlier on, I have not backpacked there so will need to do some research, if not for this trip then for a late season trip.