Manter Meadow Backpack 6/8/19

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Manter Meadow Backpack 6/8/19

Post by gary c. »

Haven't posted many reports since Photobucket went south. Maybe this will make it simple again.

Not really much of a trip or a report. Some of the folks that I do my big trip every year wanted to do a quick overnight conditioning hike and Manter Meadow seemed perfect.

We drove up and stayed on the Kern Friday night and then drove to the trail head Saturday morning. A quick 2hrs in and we set up camp. I had read on a few forums that many southern destinations were having an increased amount of people because of all the snow at higher elevations and we found that to be true. The parking lot was full and we had several groups camped near us. That has never been the case before at MM.

Anyhow, after setting up camp I grabbed my rod and first cast she was on.

I caught about a dozen more like it within sight of my tent and decided I was ready to eat and watch the sun go down next to the campfire.

A friend of ours that came with her daughter asked me if I could show her how to fly fish so I of course I said sure. She took to it right away and soon had several trout to hand. Her 12yr old daughter Emily thought it looked like all kinds of fun and borrowed another fly rod from my buddy Vince.

That little girl had a blast catching those little bows the rest of the evening and the next morning before we started back up the mountain for the truck.

Sorry it's not a better report. I wish now that I had taken more pictures but this was meant to just be some conditioning for us and pretty much a turn around. The trail was just over 4mls each way with a little over a 1,000ft overall gain coming out. At least it is giving me a chance to try out a new hosting site Postimage.org.

Had late lunch at Ewings on the way out. I need to eat there more often. :)
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray