Bearikade Scout - Approved Bear Canister?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
BESON
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Bearikade Scout - Approved Bear Canister?

Post by BESON »

I've got a BV500 bear canister and it holds a lot more than what I'd normally need for relatively short trips. So, I was thinking to get a smaller and lighter bear canister for short trips when it'd be required. As I was looking into options, I noticed that the official pages for Yosemite (https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/containers.htm) and Sequoia/Kings (https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... ainers.pdf) do not list the Bearikade Scout as an approved canister, though they do list the larger Bearikade Weekender and Expedition models. Given that the lists are otherwise rather exhaustive in covering models from other manufacturers (e.g., all the bearvault models are listed), I wondered whether this should be taken to mean that only the Bearikade Weekender / Expedition and no other Bearikade models are approved. Or maybe the list is just outdated. Does anyone know the status of the Scout?
Brian
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bearikade Scout - Approved Bear Canister?

Post by AlmostThere »

I would call them. I know friends have used the Scout in the park before, without issues.

I have the Weekender, and my smaller and lighter canister is the Bare Boxer - much cheaper than the scout, albeit a little smaller.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

I emailed the folks over at Wild Ideas a few years ago with this question. Basically, they said that the Scout wasn't a model when they submitted canisters for approval, and that they sell Scouts to the parks every year (I'm assuming for the rangers to use). I have used my Scout without issue. I know I didn't answer your question, but maybe have shed some light on the problem.
BESON
Topix Acquainted

Post by BESON »

robow8 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:50 am I emailed the folks over at Wild Ideas a few years ago with this question. Basically, they said that the Scout wasn't a model when they submitted canisters for approval, and that they sell Scouts to the parks every year (I'm assuming for the rangers to use). I have used my Scout without issue. I know I didn't answer your question, but maybe have shed some light on the problem.
I've wondered whether something like this could explain why it's not on the list. I'd just hesitated when the lists claimed to be updated. I can't imagine that there'd be any structural difference between the smaller scout and the larger options they offer such that the there'd be a legitimate reason to exclude the Scout. On the other hand, not seeing it on the list made me concerned about spending the money on it ...
Brian
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Bearikade also makes custom cans, to specific lengths that a customer wants. To have to go through an approval process seems unlikely -- I would think the park accepts all cans made by Bearikade, rather than making each unique size go through the approval process.
BESON
Topix Acquainted

Post by BESON »

AlmostThere wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:05 pm Bearikade also makes custom cans, to specific lengths that a customer wants. To have to go through an approval process seems unlikely -- I would think the park accepts all cans made by Bearikade, rather than making each unique size go through the approval process.
This reasoning makes perfect sense to me. And yet I just got a phone message from a Yosemite ranger saying that the Scout is not approved for use in Yosemite (I'd called earlier in the day, left a message, and missed the phone call back). He said that because it came out after their initial testing, they haven't tested it and it's not approved as such. I'll try to follow up to confirm and I've got a separate call to Sequoia/Kings. I'll report back ...
Brian
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I would question that opinion by the Yosemite ranger. For years I have been asked if I was carrying a bear canister, and if so, the type. I have pointed to the Bearikade photo on their poster, and then that was always approved. In a couple of cases, they wanted to see the actual bear canister, so I unpacked my backpack and showed them the Bearikade. Then it was always approved.

It is possible that the Yosemite ranger was confused, or did not recognize the Scout as being a model of Bearikade.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

bobby49 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:36 pm
It is possible that the Yosemite ranger was confused, or did not recognize the Scout as being a model of Bearikade.
It's possible that the "ranger" you talked to on the phone is a Yosemite Conservancy volunteer.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

AlmostThere wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:21 am My smaller and lighter canister is the Bare Boxer - much cheaper than the scout, albeit a little smaller.

That's what I have too, and also an Ursack.

John
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

bobby49 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:36 pm

The issues with this sort of thing continue - I have also been told in the past by Yosemite staff that we can carry bear spray, which is explicitly against the regulations - in black and white, on the website and the superintendent's compendium. The folks in the office are often mis- or uninformed.