Trip Report Sawmill Loop Kings Canyon 7-26-19 to 8-4-19

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Report Sawmill Loop Kings Canyon 7-26-19 to 8-4-19

Post by sekihiker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:27 pm

Awesome trip and report. Great photos. Great fishing. What more could you ask for? Thanks for posting.

cgundersen
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:23 am

Robert,
Thanks again for the great post and amazing photos. Obviously the guys you met deep in the backcountry have not chimed in yet; frankly, I like your route better than theirs! Your shots from atop Arrow have me re-thinking spending all my spare time collecting porcini (mushrooms). Like you, I'm not an obsessed peak bagger, but the views can be stupendous (and were!). Cameron

Dwwd
Topix Novice

Post by Dwwd » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Nice trip report. I noticed the air was particularly clear in your photos on the passes for those very long distance views. Out of curiosity, what is your favorite memory of this trip compared to all the other ones your have done?

c9h13no3
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:13 am

This trip is fake. Fish the size of whales, great destinations. Someone check Snopes, can't be real.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.

windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:51 am

Another great report! Thanks for taking the time to write it up and share -- I appreciate your perspective and understanding of all of the different elements that go into making a trip work.

I'd actually like to echo Dwwd's question -- when one has traveled so extensively through the Sierra as you have, what sorts of things tend to stand out now in current and subsequent trips that make you itch to go back? I've wanted to ask Wandering Daisy this question as well, as both of you are retirees who have already been to so many places yet don't seem to have any waning energy or excitement for planning and executing future creative and exploratory trips.
You can read a few backcountry reports here: http://wanderswithtrout.wordpress.com/

oddtiger
Topix Acquainted

Post by oddtiger » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:26 pm

Thank you for sharing! What a great trip! I saw a bighorn sheep last year above the Window Peak lake, so I guess they are wandering around in the area.