August 5, 2019 incident on North side of Forester Pass?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
ADK Walker
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

August 5, 2019 incident on North side of Forester Pass?

Post by ADK Walker »

As we were working our way NOBO on the JMT over Forester on August 5 there were three helicopter flights in the area north of the pass that day. Trail rumors were floating around that it was, unfortunately, a recovery mission. Has anyone seen any information on this?
lizgreer
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: August 5, 2019 incident on North side of Forester Pass?

Post by lizgreer »

I actually heard that there was, sadly, a death on Forester, on August 4, a person who got off trail and slipped on talus. However since I've been back I've yet to find any confirming information. So not clear it it's rumor or fact.
ADK Walker
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ADK Walker »

The details you shared match the unconfirmed story I heard on the trail. Thanks for chiming in.
Pearl
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Pearl »

I spoke to the SEKI ranger from Rock Creek on Aug 23rd and asked about it. She confirmed there was a fatality earlier this month on the PCT/JMT north of Forester Pass. According to the ranger it is unknown at this time if it was due to natural causes or from a fall. There was a missing overdue hiker reported on multiple sites around that time but I cannot confirm it was the same guy.