Let's make a "view bagging" list

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Let's make a "view bagging" list

Post by balzaccom »

c9h13no3 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:38 pm Oh, right. "No new people after me". Sorry, I forgot the forum's slogan.

Also, could you all please raise your hands if you've personally made something go viral. Anyone?
I made the mistake once of cooperating with a request from Backpacker Magazine when they asked for my advice on a particular wilderness area. The rangers the next summer told me they had noticed a massive uptick in visitors since that article appeared. And Outside contacted me specifically because of what I had posted on-line.

The irony is that the rangers didn't know it was me. I was filling out a permit, and commenting on all the hiker traffic...

"Yep," they said. "Ever since that article came out, we've been inundated..."

So I still post where I go, but I post fewer photos, and I don't cooperate with magazines...even if they flatter me and clearly read my blog...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

balzaccom wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:11 am massive uptick in visitors
Not quite the same as 'going viral'.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

We already share information on our favorite places we go to on this forum, with trip reports. And posting photos in the photography sub-forum. Anyone who wants to can view these posts and decide to visit, or not. Not making a "list" has nothing to do with not wanting to share. And our members are quite generous in answering specific questions when they post trip reports.

Obviously, if I did not want to share information, I would not have written an off-trail guidebook to the Wind Rivers, which describes 50 routes. The only "lists" are tables that summarize route statistic and level of difficulty (appropriate for various levels of experience). There are no rankings based on "best"; that is left up to the reader. It is interesting that the uptick in use over the last 10 years has been a product of the two "high routes" popularized on the internet and the increased popularization of the CDT.

You do not need to raise to the level of "viral" for crowds to adversely impact an off-trail location. Case in point is the SHR for which internet popularization has resulted in use-trails and cairns. And it is not Ropers original guide that caused this; it is all the subsequent internet hype.

Perhaps, C9, your idea would be better received if you simply wanted us to post photos of our favorite Sierra scenes/views without any underlying "list" in mind- no rankings, no voting on the "best", no hype, just a good way to share.
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

I think that participants posting their respective lists would be an interesting read and this forum, at least for me, is about reading what others are thinking and doing. Any "massive uptick" would be temporary at best. I think you will have to convince the HST owners that its a good idea and create a box for those that want to share their lists.

That said, I would love to stand on this location and bag this view:

Of course, it would never look this good.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Your assertion that lists create crowds is wrong
and rhymes with "People, ... can we all get along?"¹
Yeah, we definitely shouldn't promote places we like
Holiday Grinch-- mellow out, take a hike. ;)

¹ Rodney King
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

balzaccom wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:11 am
c9h13no3 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:38 pm Oh, right. "No new people after me". Sorry, I forgot the forum's slogan.

Also, could you all please raise your hands if you've personally made something go viral. Anyone?
I made the mistake once of cooperating with a request from Backpacker Magazine

Given that Backpacker Magazine has 182 times as many followers on Twitter as High Sierra Topix, I think we're safe here. Once this place gets 146 thousand followers, maybe we crank up the dislike of new people again?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

I don't see any dislike of new people on HST. I'm pretty new here and everyone was very helpful last year when I was planning my 2019 trip. I suspect that everyone will be helpful when I start asking questions for 2020.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

download.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Well this is going well...
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It's pretty simple. Post your request for a view bagging list in the Website Technical Problems, Questions, Comments & Suggestions directed at ERIC and get his position.