Traveling northbound from Trail Pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Traveling northbound from Trail Pass?

Post by Bishop_Bob »

I need flexibility in my start date for hiking this summer, which means I'm planning to get a walk-up permit instead of reserving a permit online. Since Trail Pass is non-quota, it's a reliable option if my other choices of Inyo trailheads are not available. But I'm puzzled by this statement on the recreation.gov page for Trail Pass (https://www.recreation.gov/permits/233262/divisions/475):

"Trips going north on the Pacific Crest Trail need a Cottonwood Pass permit"

That statement does *not* appear on the Inyo NF page for Trail Pass (https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/re ... 4&actid=51)

When I searched mentions of "Trail Pass" on HST, I also did *not* see any warnings that this trailhead was not eligible for travel heading north (e.g., toward Yosemite).

Does anybody know if northbound travel is prohibited from Trail Pass? For instance, with a Trail Pass entry, would I *not* be permitted to turn west at the junction with the PCT and go to Cottonwood Pass, then continue toward Forester Pass, Glen Pass, etc?
GGC23
Topix Acquainted

Re: Traveling northbound from Trail Pass?

Post by GGC23 »

I've done exactly what you're describing (taken Trail Pass in and then turned north on the PCT), was very explicit with the rangers about my plans, and wasn't told that I needed any other permit than the non-quota Trail Pass permit. However, I wouldn't take my experience to mean that's the rule. Particularly at the Bishop ranger station, I've been told some crazy things by staff who clearly doesn't have the faintest idea of how the permit system works. But worst case scenario, unless you're trying to pick up a day-of permit for 9 people starting on July 4, you'll probably be fine getting a walk-up permit for something out of the Cottonwood Lakes area. The quotas are huge for that area.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

Bishop_Bob,

Mulkey Pass would also be an option, but I don't see any quota information about this pass at all.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

GGC23, thanks for the info and reassurance. TurboHike, thanks for giving the idea of Mulkey...I hadn't considered it.