Mammoth BLM Area Camping and Hot Springs. Are They Open?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
blaybelay
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mammoth BLM Area Camping and Hot Springs. Are They Open?

Post by blaybelay »

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has been up to the Hot Creek Hatchery BLM camping area recently. The wife and I have been going nuts working from home for the past two months and we're looking to put a little dispersed camping trip together. It'd mostly consist of hot springing it up at Siphon and camping the BLM lands near that area. I know the town of Mammoth is pretty well locked down (from what I've heard) but we'll be bringing everything we need and not stopping anywhere but for gas so we don't need to go into town.

If anyone has any other areas or ideas in the Eastern Sierra that is remote and open, that would be great as well. We'll be coming out of San Diego.

Also are the Hot Creek Hatchery bathrooms open?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Mammoth BLM Area Camping and Hot Springs. Are They Open?

Post by c9h13no3 »

I would expect nothing developed to be open (bathrooms, campgrounds, water). I dunno about the Mammoth springs, but Buckeye Hot Springs is technically closed. However, friends of mine stumbled in there unaware of the closure, didn't see any signs, and took a dip undisturbed by the authorities. YMMV.

If you go out right now, you gotta be self-sufficient. No trips to the store, no bathrooms, ect. And have a lot of back up plans, because things are changing rapidly. Things that say they're closed on the internet appear wide open when you get there and vice versa.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.