NFSJ crossing Bench Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lrnix
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

NFSJ crossing Bench Canyon

Post by Lrnix »

First post long time lurker. Planning a trip from isberg trailhead-hemlock, up bench canyon, blue lake pass, harriet lake, maybe day hike to Lyell fork basin, lake 9911, and then loop back on the isberg pass trail. During this low snow year will the NFSJ be crossable at bench canyon last week of June? I am not too concerned about snow on the rest of the trip. We are experienced cross country travelers and are comfortable on snow.
P.S. I decided to post here instead of the conditions request subform as it is more of a route planning question than info about current conditions.
Thanks
mort
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: NFSJ crossing Bench Canyon

Post by mort »

Hi Lrnix,
I've been up & down Bench Canyon creek - pretty steep in places. I understand the preferred route is to leave the oasis going north-east and drop down on to Twin Island Lakes. Crossing the NFSJ at the lakes outlets.
But if you do come down Bench Canyon creek, just north of where the BC creek joins the NFSJ there is a broad flat curve in the NFSJ (about 8320 ft.) The ford there is wide and not too deep. I expect it is an easy wade today, and easier next month. We saw a trail blaze on a tree there. On the east bank is an old packer site. The trail is just up hill a few dozen yards east.
I urge you to spend a day in the oasis, at the confluence of the 2 bench creeks (about 9690 ft.). To borrow a phrase "faeries definitely live there."
-mort
Lrnix
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lrnix »

Thanks for the reply, we do plan on spending a solid day in the canyon slowly making our way towards Blue lake. It seems we should cross about 200-300 yards after the junction of Bench Canyon Creek and NFSJ. Sounds like that is also where the use trail snakes up to the head wall separating lower and upper Bench Canyon.
mort
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mort »

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post, so thought you were descending Bench Canyon Creek. Yes you have the place we used. On our ascent we crossed the creek twice, but stayed east of BC coming down.
-m