Covid 19- "Thank you for your opinion"

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Covid 19- "Thank you for your opinion"

Post by CAMERONM »

Runyon Canyon.jpg
Runyon Canyon, one of Los Angeles's famed local urban hikes was finally re-opened this week with social distance measures, including mandatory face masks, some trails still closed, one-way trails and marked-off roads. Near the top of the West Trail I had to walk past this group with no masks, no distancing, group selfies, etc. I announced "Hey guys, one-half of Los Angeles is out of work now, and a tremendous number of those people are undocumented workers who have no access to any social services and are worried about how they are going to feed their kids tonight. Don't you think we could all wear masks to help end this horrible situation?

The response: "Thank you for your opinion".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Covid 19- "Thank you for your opinion"

Post by franklin411 »

They did it their way. You did it yours. They were civil to an interloper. What's the problem?

PS--Did you ask for permission to post identifiable photos of others? I'm willing to bet not.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Could be interpreted as three groups of people, each group constituting a "family". Each group seems to be nearly 6 feet apart. Hard to tell. I have seen such on my walks along the American River. That does not freak me out as much as going to the grocery store. I also do not wear a mask when walking- I walk fast enough that it restricts my breathing too much. I walk 5-6 miles 6AM so do not see many people at all simply because it is early. I see nothing wrong with you stating your opinion and I also see nothing terribly awful about their comment (unless it was said angrily or very snarky). When I see groups like that I just walk away. I have never been much one to play behavior cop- I find in never changes their behavior may even be counter-productive.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

Daisy has a good point. People aren't going to care. Isn't that why we go to the Sierra - to get away from the filth of society?
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Everyone was asked at the entrance to wear a mask, and instructed to not congregate in this manner. The opening of Runyon Canyon was delayed longer than most of the other parks and trails for this very reason. This behavior will likely lead to Runyon being closed again.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

sorry, I see no issue with that shot.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

People let their dogs off leash, smoke in no smoking areas, drive like idiots, and disregard COVID health orders. If you are outraged about every little injustice, you’ll spend your whole life mad about stuff that ultimately doesn’t matter that much.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I'm sitting with a rifle next to me, so 10 people on top of a ridge seems insignificant.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

Jimr wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:06 am I'm sitting with a rifle next to me, so 10 people on top of a ridge seems insignificant.
Don't cut yourself with all that edge, Jim.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Let's keep things civil, please.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix