Mono Meadow/Illilouette Camping

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Mono Meadow/Illilouette Camping

Post by robow8 »

So I have mid August permit for Mono Meadow. Going to try to get over Red Peak Pass and head down the Merced drainage and back to Mono Meadow.
Assuming I can get into the park late at night, and assuming that my permit starts at midnight, I was thinking of driving to the trailhead, parking, and getting a few miles in, setting up camp, and crashing for a few hours. I've looked at the Yosemite website that shows where camping is legal for each trailhead, so if I go to Illilouette Creek, are there any campsites in the area?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mono Meadow/Illilouette Camping

Post by bobby49 »

At the last time that I went this route, I drove to the Mono Meadow parking lot one afternoon and then took a nap. At 11:30 p.m., I got up and started preparing to head out on the trail (with a very bright headlamp). As the clock approached midnight (when my permit would be effective), a ranger suddenly drove up and started making demands and accusing me of illegal camping. Once I showed the wilderness permit, the excitement was over. The clock struck midnight, and I headed out, all totally legal. Late at night like that the air is nice and cool, and that helps for the uphill. I reached Lower Ottoway in mid-day, pitched my shelter, and then had some proper sleep.

If you get going up toward Red Peak Pass early enough, you might see and hear some pikas (maybe 30 minutes before the pass).
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

8 Years ago my wife and I spent a couple nights right at Illilouette Creek, just to relax and so I could do some fishing.

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 205#p57205

We found a decent site without much trouble right after the junction. We stepped across the one little feeder creek, no other crossing necessary. Although it's been 8 years, I don't think you'll have much trouble finding a site.

Ill-1.JPG

IMG_7681.JPG
Have fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Yep. That area is actually heavily impacted by hikers and campers. Lots of flat spaces with the creek nearby. And given the new rules for Yosemite, I doubt any place will be that crowded.

It's an easy downhill hike to illilouette Creek...although with permit in hand, I think I would just leave early and hike down the night before. I doubt a ranger will give you grief for that, since there is no camping available nearby.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

That looks like a nice spot Jason.

I was originally going to find somewhere near Fish Camp to crash until the morning, and then start hiking. But I'll hike in the cool of the night if I can. I would like to get farther before crashing, but I also don't want to do any iffy water crossings at night. Thus my question.

Thanks for the help!