High Sierra Trail Question!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Codymayer22
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

High Sierra Trail Question!

Post by Codymayer22 »

Hey guys, just joined this forum to ask a question about the High Sierra trail and Colby pass trail. I'm planning on doing the trail in about 2 weeks with some friends and family, we're all experienced backpacking and want to try some off trail expeditions along the HST. One idea we have just looking at topo and satellite maps is to go over the Kaweah ridgeline(not sure if that's the right name) in between Triple Divide peak and Lawson peak where the origins of Big Aroyo creek are and then through that basin towards the Colby pass trail, meeting up with it and then re-joining the High Sierra trail at junction meadow. Has anyone done this route or does anybody have any thoughts about it? Concerns, comments or any advice about that route idea or area would be greatly appreciated.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: High Sierra Trail Question!

Post by c9h13no3 »

Pants Pass is probably what you're looking for.

Also, this map is helpful: http://www.highsierratopix.com/high-sierra-map/map.php
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Yes, Pants Pass is the northernmost of the three routes used by backpackers to cross the Kaweahs, so it is the most appropriate route to use to reach the Colby Pass trail. Make sure to read the detailed descriptions of this route because one can easily miss the route coming from the west. Note that this pass has steep and loose talus near the top on both sides, especially the east side. Groups doing this have to be careful about their positioning so as to avoid knocking rocks down on others (some stretches need to be done one-at-a-time).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

May I ask why you are interested in visiting that particular area Cody? Not that there is anything wrong with it, but you are close to two of the prettiest spots in all of the Sierra, one being Picket Creek Lake, which is considered by many as the prettiest lake in the Sierra, with outstanding views east towards the Sierra Crest, and second being Kaweah Basin, one of the prettiest and most isolated basins in the Sierra.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted

Post by kylekuzma »

maverick wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:36 pm May I ask why you are interested in visiting that particular area Cody? Not that there is anything wrong with it, but you are close to two of the prettiest spots in all of the Sierra, one being Picket Creek Lake, which is considered by many as the prettiest lake in the Sierra, with outstanding views east towards the Sierra Crest, and second being Kaweah Basin, one of the prettiest and most isolated basins in the Sierra.
I second this. Two insane areas that are super, super close together.
Codymayer22
Topix Newbie

Post by Codymayer22 »

maverick wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:36 pm May I ask why you are interested in visiting that particular area Cody? Not that there is anything wrong with it, but you are close to two of the prettiest spots in all of the Sierra, one being Picket Creek Lake, which is considered by many as the prettiest lake in the Sierra, with outstanding views east towards the Sierra Crest, and second being Kaweah Basin, one of the prettiest and most isolated basins in the Sierra.
We're definitely going to try and check out the kaweah basin! I'll have to search up that lake. Thanks for all the info everyone!!
Codymayer22
Topix Newbie

Post by Codymayer22 »

Which way do you guys suggest to get into the basin? maybe the pass between kaweah queen and black kaweah?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

If you stay on the High Sierra Trail proper, it takes you past Kern Hot Spring. For some hikers, that is not to be missed.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

Codymayer22 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:45 pm Which way do you guys suggest to get into the basin? maybe the pass between kaweah queen and black kaweah?
Take a look here:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 31&t=10709
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Here are trip reports that deal with crossings into the Kern-Kaweah Basin from Nine Lakes Basin:

http://www.sierrahiker.com/KernKaweah/index.htm
This shows the route over "Piss Your Pants Pass" and is not recommended

http://www.sierrahiker.com/KaweahBasin/index.html
This shows the route over Pants Pass, aka Kern-Kaweah Col, aka South Kern-Kaweah Col in the report. This is the recommended route and shows a way to get into Picket Creek and Kaweah Basin without dropping into the Kern-Kaweah drainage.