Seeking Beta: Harrison Pass with Snow?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
compeanja
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Seeking Beta: Harrison Pass with Snow?

Post by compeanja »

Given the most recent sat images, it looks like Harrison Pass is still holding a fair amount of snow on the North side. For those of you who have crossed that pass (North to South in particular) in similar conditions: Is it steep enough to warrant crampons/ice ax, or can it be sent without?

Just to avoid the inevitable: I know that this is a very subjective question, the answer to which is much more dependent upon my own experience and comfort level as well as the specific momentary conditions of the snowpack. I'm looking for subjective answers here; how do you feel about it, what would you bring...?
Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Seeking Beta: Harrison Pass with Snow?

Post by c9h13no3 »

It's early season, so I pretty much carry an axe and crampons even without planning to go up a 40 degree north facing slope above 12,000 ft (which Harrison pass is). The snow gear will often make you much faster and give you many more route options in the early season, even without considering safety.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The slope is steep (ice axe very useful in snow). Just be sure you know how to use an ice axe. Crampons would be needed in hard snow, but early season, I doubt the snow will be hard. The slope is too steep to effectively use micro-spikes. A good aggressive shoe sole would help too.

Not only is the slope steep, when snow-free it is very difficult to keep from sliding back down once you gain a foot. I had an ice axe with me for climbing purposes while on the trip and simply used it going up the pass. I jabbed the axe into the loose scree for an anchor while ascending. Trekking poles would serve that purpose too when there is no snow.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Is it steep enough to warrant crampons/ice ax, or can it be sent without?

Definitely warrants an ice axe and crampons, if you do not have experience with them (self arrest), then consider doing it later on in the year. If the snow is gone you will then have to deal with very steep scree, would highly recommend the use of trekking poles for assistance and balance.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

compeanja wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:12 am I'm looking for subjective answers here; how do you feel about it, what would you bring...?

Untitled.jpg
My usual early summer strategy is to bring an ice axe but leave the crampons at home. I then try to time the passes so I'm there in the afternoon, with soft snow, instead of the morning, with hard snow. If I encounter ice, well, that requires a change of route.

FYI, it looks like Little Joe's Pass is snow free, check your satellite image. If Harrison's is iced up, you could backtrack and do Little Joe's.
compeanja
Topix Novice

Post by compeanja »

TurboHike wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:29 pm
compeanja wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:12 am
FYI, it looks like Little Joe's Pass is snow free, check your satellite image. If Harrison's is iced up, you could backtrack and do Little Joe's.
I should have thought about that haha! Thanks for that tip. Although now it looks like our trip plans have changed to the Rae Lakes Loop via Kearsarge so maybe it didn't matter anyway.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

The north side of Glen Pass still has snow as of June 16th.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

My guess is that the easiest passages of Harrison Pass are on snow.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The north side of Glen Pass still has snow as of June 16th.
Form this past weekend: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 20#p156297
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org