Off-trail camp options between Muir Pass and Big Pete Meadow?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hisdudeness47
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Off-trail camp options between Muir Pass and Big Pete Meadow?

Post by hisdudeness47 »

Hey there, I'm planning my North to South Lake route with some little side adventures and I'm looking to start a day at Darwin Bench and head over Muir Pass to SOME campsite below. I'm thinking Big Pete Meadow is a little too far (and possibly crowded) and Helen Lake sites seem to be right on the trail. I could be wrong. Does anyone with a good lay of the land know if there's good secluded campsites between Muir Pass and Big Pete Meadow? I do see a campsite at the start of Le Conte Canyon on the 7.5 that could work (37.1160, -118.6396), but that might be too close to the trail for my tastes also. I'm more than willing to go off trail to find some magic camps. Any thoughts on the options in this section? I'm not totally opposed to camping on the west side of Muir Pass also. That would just be kind of a short day from Darwin Bench. Any thoughts are appreciated!
dprice1
Topix Novice

Re: Off-trail camp options between Muir Pass and Big Pete Meadow?

Post by dprice1 »

Look at Star Camp, approx 1.5/2 miles below Helen lake has some in a nice wooded glade with great views and h20
hisdudeness47
Topix Novice

Post by hisdudeness47 »

dprice1 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:52 am Look at Star Camp, approx 1.5/2 miles below Helen lake has some in a nice wooded glade with great views and h20
Is that the site labeled "campsite" on the topo? That seems to be just about 2 miles below Helen Lake, just below the switchbacks. Is that what you're referring to? I can't find "Star Camp" on Google anywhere.

37.1160, -118.6396

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.1142 ... =15&b=f16a
82DMC12
Topix Newbie

Post by 82DMC12 »

Yes, that's more or less where Starr Camp is. I wouldn't call it secluded at all though, it's in the middle of a meadow just before going down into LeConte. There's actually two tent spots maybe 10 to 15 minutes west and uphill from there at about 11S 0354234E 4109269N which, just a few yards to the south and downhill, has nice access to the Middle Fork creek and a small waterfall. Cool view of the back of Black Giant from there, too. People can see you from the trail but it's a really nice spot anyway.