Inyo NF Extends Group Campground Closures

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Inyo NF Extends Group Campground Closures

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
July 7, 2020-- The Inyo National Forest is extending the closure of all group campgrounds and two remote campgrounds under a forest closure order. The closure can be terminated or extended depending in conditions.

Please see Exhibit A (in the link above) for a full list of campgrounds included in this order.

The decision is based upon recommendations from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and state and local health authorities.

Developed recreation group campsites on the Inyo National Forest typically draw large groups of people, creating mass gatherings and concentrated groups of forest visitors. This results in significant management oversight. especially during the high use conditions now being experienced.

Additionally, due to lack of personnel it is necessary to close two developed campgrounds, Grandview Campground and Kennedy Meadows Campground, located in remote areas of the Inyo National Forest. These facilities are located in areas that timely and routine cleaning cannot occur.

This closure is an interim measure. The Inyo National Forest will follow guidelines from the CDC, as well as state and local health departments, to ensure that the safety of our employees and our visitors is a priority.

Visitors are also urged to take the precautions recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) along with local health and safety guidance. For tips from the CDC on preventing illnesses like the coronavirus, go to: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... ntion.html.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/new ... vjmIOxLauQ
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BillyBobBurro
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Inyo NF Extends Group Campground Closures

Post by BillyBobBurro »

Not surprised by this. The forestry service has been underfunded for years and demand has only spiked with covid-19. I went to Monache Meadows a few weeks back and the undeveloped car camping area was way over crowded. There are no pit toilets there and people were camping on top of each other. I cannot image what a mess it is now. I watched multiple people walk over from the crowded area to pee, 20 ft from my camp and 10 ft from the water. There was a lot of people there who either do not get back country sanitation or do not care. This area requires 4wd to reach. Kennedy Meadows (south) must be beyond out of control.

Would be nice if the Nat forest service could provide the needed staffing to run the various car camping facilities that are closed. One can dream I guess.