Recommendation for backpacking 1/2 way in between Socal and Portland

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Recommendation for backpacking 1/2 way in between Socal and Portland

Post by Midnight Sun »

Hi All,

I have recently moved from Santa Barbara to Portland, OR. My friends in Santa Barbara and I are looking to meet somewhere roughly halfway in the middle for a 2 night backpacking trip in September or October. Over the past several years, we've done an annual 2 night trip in the Sierra. The most recent trip was Agnew Meadows - Ediza Lake - Thousand Island Lake (via north side of Garnet Lake and over the pass - highly recommend!).

I am very familiar with many of the routes, trailheads, and hiking in the Sierra; but I am woefully unfamiliar with anything north of there! I am looking for trip suggestions anywhere that is roughly half way in between Portland and Santa Barbara. Cursory research has me reading about Lassen, the Trinity Alps and Marble Mountain. Any recommendations for these or other locations? We favor scenic beauty and solitude (of course). Fishing is nice, but not a requirement. We tend to favor late season when solitude is slightly more likely. I appreciate any input.

Thanks!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Re: Recommendation for backpacking 1/2 way in between Socal and Portland

Post by wildhiker »

If you like the scenery in the Sierra Nevada, the Trinity Alps is probably your best bet and closest scenery match, although it is closer to Portland than to Santa Barbara. Except for the Lassen Peak area itself, Lassen Park is much gentler and more forested - and besides, most of Lassen Park is currently closed to backpacking because of problem bears.

For something completely different, try the Lost Coast Trail in the King Range (look for "Shelter Cove" on google maps).
30 miles along a roadless coastline. September/October are generally less foggy than the summer. Car shuttle is the way to go (rather than out and back). Farther than the Trinity Alps for either Portland or Santa Barbara, but equidistant from both.

-Phil
Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted

Post by Midnight Sun »

wildhiker wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:55 pm If you like the scenery in the Sierra Nevada, the Trinity Alps is probably your best bet and closest scenery match,.

-Phil
Thanks Phil. Any recommendations for a good trailhead to check out? Also, the Lost Coast has been on my radar for some time now. I will hopefully make that happen someday soon!
BardoPond
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BardoPond »

Midnight Sun wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:13 pm
wildhiker wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:55 pm If you like the scenery in the Sierra Nevada, the Trinity Alps is probably your best bet and closest scenery match,.

-Phil
Thanks Phil. Any recommendations for a good trailhead to check out? Also, the Lost Coast has been on my radar for some time now. I will hopefully make that happen someday soon!
Stuart Fork Trail to Emerald and Sapphire Lakes is a nice out-and-back. You could aim to spend your second night at Sapphire (spectacular views, if you don't mind camping on granite). Then you would have a long-ish day getting back but all downhill.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

I have two recent Trinity Alps TRs to stimulate your thinking:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20823

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16163
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

How many miles would you want to do? Also, I'm assuming an out and back or loop, not a through hike with car shuttle, even though you will be arriving in separate cars? Strictly on-trail or some off trail hiking possible?
Unfortunately, solitude may be more difficult to come by this year.
Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted

Post by Midnight Sun »

Lumbergh21 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:07 pm How many miles would you want to do? Also, I'm assuming an out and back or loop, not a through hike with car shuttle, even though you will be arriving in separate cars? Strictly on-trail or some off trail hiking possible?
Unfortunately, solitude may be more difficult to come by this year.
Thanks all so far for this input. In answer to these questions - you're right, I had only considered a loop or out-and-back. But we will have two vehicles, so a through hike is completely possible. We are looking to do roughly 7 miles per day, give or take. We could probably do up to 15 in a day comfortably, but not 15 every day. A nice bit of cold water to soak one's feet in at the end of the day always helps. Thank you.
Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted

Post by Midnight Sun »

kpeter wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:32 am I have two recent Trinity Alps TRs to stimulate your thinking:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20823

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16163
Kpeter - thank you for posting your excellent trip reports. Both very well done and informative. Great photos too. Interesting to hear about the lack of solitude in some locations. We have had luck in the past with solitude in popular locations, but I suspect this is because we do most of our backpacking in mid or late September. From what I understand, the Trinity Alps don't have a permit quota, so an number of campers is possible.