Snow Lakes via Fourth Recess Lake?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Snow Lakes via Fourth Recess Lake?

Post by gary c. »

Once while camped at 4th two of my buddies went up the west side of the lake. It was several years ago and I don't remember their exact route but they were forced to go pretty high to reach the back of the canyon much like Daves first picture.

After that they crossed over the creek and came down on the eastside of the waterfall. We ended up getting into it after I got pissed off for their recklessness and coming down the fall. They are both pretty good about being careful and safety but they had a couple of drops and swings that once committed they were forced to keep going to the next.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by erutan »

Yeah the west side is the way to do it.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Went to Snow Lakes from 4th Recess Lake, late season, 2009. No snow. Took the high route as shown in Matt's tube, starting from the outfitter's camp at the NW end of 4th Recess Lake. Not bad at all. The scramble over to Third Recess looked good to go from Snow Lakes, but didn't try, so do not know what the far side of 3rd/4th Recess Pass holds in store for the trekker.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

We got spooked by clouds building up and dropped early into trying this onto what is apparently the common route so can't speak for it, but a wrinkle would be to walk the ridge after gaining mono rock (for the views and because it's there) and then drop down by the higher snow lake when the side mellows out.

I've been holding this close as it's a really pristine area and it's fun to leave some spots "here there be dragons" but the cat is out of the bag.