How risky is it to push my 5-night trip back one day without adjusting my permit?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hisdudeness47
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

How risky is it to push my 5-night trip back one day without adjusting my permit?

Post by hisdudeness47 »

Hey there, I'm in a world of pain here. Long story short, I ordered a new backpack last week (old one is off to Osprey warranty repair) and paid extra to have UPS ship it by Monday. Anyway, the company ended up using USPS (ugh) and sure enough, it's nowhere to be found, but it is SUPPOSED to be here by tomorrow (Wednesday). My entry date was supposed to be tomorrow at Kearsarge Pass for a 5-nighter backcountry loop. I cannot get a hold of any ranger station to even ask about my permit. Since I still have this 5-night permit, how risky would it be to just go and do the same itinerary and leave on Thursday instead without doing anything? I technically wouldn't have a permit for the last night (next Monday), but doesn't it have to do with entry location anyway? Do they really hold you to where you say you're going to camp and how long? I feel as if as long as If I have a permit for Thursday, which I do, and I enter on a Thursday, I'm okay, right?
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: How risky is it to push my 5-night trip back one day without adjusting my permit?

Post by balzaccom »

The permit doesn't really matter in terms of when you leave--you can hike out early, or stay longer, depending on lots of factors. But the start day is a fixed date so that they can manage the number of people who hammer those first campsites on the trail. So technically, no, you are not okay.

You might talk your way out of a citation if you get stopped by a ranger, but you would be in violation of the wilderness policies.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
hisdudeness47
Topix Novice

Re: How risky is it to push my 5-night trip back one day without adjusting my permit?

Post by hisdudeness47 »

balzaccom wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:39 pm The permit doesn't really matter in terms of when you leave--you can hike out early, or stay longer, depending on lots of factors. But the start day is a fixed date so that they can manage the number of people who hammer those first campsites on the trail. So technically, no, you are not okay.

You might talk your way out of a citation if you get stopped by a ranger, but you would be in violation of the wilderness policies.
Ugh.
whttiger25
Topix Novice

Post by whttiger25 »

If I had the permit in hand, I probably would take the risk and play country stupid if stopped. Once you get a decent ways past the trailhead it's a moot point, as you could justify having camped the night before.

Not sure if Inyo is doing the saem thing as Yosemite (emailed permits as opposed to picking up day of or day before) so if they are, you may get away with it. But hisdudeness is correct, you should be aware it is a violation of the regulations. I may be an exception to the rule, but I've only had my permit checked a few times in Inyo, and it was never anywhere near the trailhead. That's just me.
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted

Post by kylekuzma »

You'd be in violation of the rules, but i dont think you'd get into any trouble. I've had 3 backcountry trips this season with two of them being in SEKI NP. Never saw any rangers in the backcountry, and only had my permit checked at my car in the parking lot when i exited the trail. Obviously there are risks involved hopefully this helps
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

whttiger25 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:15 am If I had the permit in hand, I probably would take the risk and play country stupid if stopped.
X2
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
mort
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mort »

TahoeJeff wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:13 pm
whttiger25 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:15 am If I had the permit in hand, I probably would take the risk and play country stupid if stopped.
X2
Rules don't apply to me because I love the mountains?
I'm disgusted.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

mort wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:53 pm I'm disgusted.
hisdudeness47 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:09 pm I still have this 5-night permit
The dude is not proposing to go in "permitless". He's going in a day late. That's disgusting???
kylekuzma wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:08 am You'd be in violation of the rules, but i dont think you'd get into any trouble.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

Another vote for going anyway and asking forgiveness if necessary. You are complying with the spirit, if not the letter, of the permitting requirements. And it has been extremely difficult to get anyone on the phone during COVID, so there is that...
hisdudeness47
Topix Novice

Post by hisdudeness47 »

mort wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:53 pm
TahoeJeff wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:13 pm
X2
Rules don't apply to me because I love the mountains?
I'm disgusted.
Yeesh. Tough crowd