South lake to Mt Goode

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

South lake to Mt Goode

Post by overheadx2 »

Just got back from a 3 day trip up to Mt. Goode. I had decided on Mt Goode instead of Mt. Agassiz simply because of the crowd factor. Every time I have bean over Bishop Pass I have seen people climbing Agassiz and wanted to be a little more alone. Thank god I did because it took a lot of effort for me to get to the top of Goode. As I get older the amount of training I have to do just to stay the same level I was 10 years ago is becoming noticeable. Mt. Goode could be done in as a relatively strenuous day hike, but as a sea level participant, I need a day to acclimate. Since I was just going to get set up at a nearby lake prior to climbing Mt Goode I was able to bring the wife. I knew that there was some road construction on south Lake Road, but was very surprised that they are now having overnight parking literally 4 miles from the trail head. With Covid, it was tough to get a willing participant to give me a ride to and from the trail head, but with a mask and some arm twisting I was able to get to and from. We had intended to go past busy Long lake, but when we got there we saw a few day hikers, but no campers and decided to camp at a spot we had camped at over 30 years prior. Turns out we had the whole south side of the lake to ourselves for the whole weekend. On Saturday I was able to hit Mt Goode while my wife did a hike up to Bishop pass. I brought Wilkie talkies in order to communicate, but I lost mine on the way up Goode. Amazingly some one hiking behind me found it and set it on a cairn and Incredibly I was able to return exactly the way I had come and was able to retrieve it on the way out. Great little weekender!
A0611A08-4F07-4480-BF0C-692F4C0BF1F8.jpeg

[attachment =1]871F0601-B4B3-48B3-8EFA-39BA78E75D85.jpeg[/attachment]

Campsite with MT. Goode in the back ground
8DACF17A-1849-4E36-8296-7CC052AF425B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: South lake to Mt Goode

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report. The view of Mt Goode from below is a classic one. I recall doing Goode around 1970 or so and it was a memorable family hike. My dad was staying back to herd the stragglers (my mom and younger bro) and we could see thunderstorms closing in. I was given the go ahead to hustle up to the summit which I did. I flew by my family who was still going up and none of us realized they would get the full dose of a thunderstorm in a high place....buzzing ice axes and other things,etc. But they did in fact summit too and got off safely. Anyway Mt Goode was a big part of my childhood memories and your report brings that back.

Speaking of dayhike vs backpack, my family camped at Bishop L for that Mt Goode trip.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Yes, a relatively family friendly peak with a great base camp area. I was able to do some fishing recon up at Ruwau and spear head lakes Since I had read some reports of bigger Brookies in them. While the fishing was none stop, unfortunately it was all the 10 inchers you wanted and nothing bigger.

Thanks for your input about Bear Basin. I have instead decided to go over Paiute and try and spend some time fishing some of the more obscure lakes that I missed the last time I was there. Just got my permit for late August. I know it’s a tough time to fish that area, but I’m hoping to find some descent fish some where. I’m hoping to head up into the area we discussed next spring as the ice melts and find some bigger fish.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Hey overhead, great job. Really enjoyed your photos - brought back memories for me too, one of my favorite areas of the Sierra.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Nice report and congrats on Goode - I love 3-day trips. I once had a gps and an ice axe that I lost found by a climber and mailed to me. The GPS has my contact info. Hikers and climbers tend to be nice folks.