Trip Report - 8/10-8/12 - Granite Park/Granite Bear Pass/Feather Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Slow_AF
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip Report - 8/10-8/12 - Granite Park/Granite Bear Pass/Feather Pass

Post by Slow_AF »

I began my hike from Pine Creek Pass TH. I hiked up into Granite Park and camped in the upper part of the basin. The area seems very true to its name as I felt completely surrounded by bare granite in every direction . The next morning I climbed over Granite Bear Pass and dropped into the Bear Lakes Basin. This was a very nice area. The lakes are a deep blue color that I found unique to other lakes I past. After a beautiful walk through the basin I climbed up and over Feather Pass. The walk down from Feather Pass was wonderful. The whole way down to La Salle Lake and onto Merriam Lake was very scenic. I camped at Merriam Lake. It was nice having the whole area to myself. The next morning I hiked over Pine Creek Pass and back down to the Trailhead. I enjoyed this hike very much and I’m motivated to spend more time in the Bear Lakes Basin when I have more time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Report - 8/10-8/12 - Granite Park/Granite Bear Pass/Feather Pass

Post by giantbrookie »

Gracious that is a lot of ground to cover in 3 days. Those two passes make it possible.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mckee80
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by mckee80 »

Slow? Haha. I took a week doing a similar route last year. Beautiful area!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Great route! But you say nothing about a dog? There may be a penalty for entering a dog-friendly area without a dog.
Dogs are disappointed with you. ;)
tibet photos.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Slow_AF
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Slow_AF »

Harlen wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:56 am Great route! But you say nothing about a dog? There may be a penalty for entering a dog-friendly area without a dog.
Dogs are disappointed with you. ;)

tibet photos.jpg
Haha, My city dogs would be like fish outta water up there. One day!