TR: Arrow Peak Dayhike

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
themtsarecalling
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Arrow Peak Dayhike

Post by themtsarecalling »

Tried to recreate Bob Burd's dayhike effort out of Roads End. Wound up heading up the Arrow Creek drainage instead of Window Creek despite Secor's warnings and thought it worked out fine, although my tolerance for bushwacking is probably not the best measure. Finished in about 15 hours car to car.

https://TheMtsAreCalling.com/arrow
seanr
Topix Regular

Re: TR: Arrow Peak Dayhike

Post by seanr »

Interesting. That's the type of outing I've been aiming toward this month with Roads End making a lot of sense for access this fall given closures elsewhere. A couple years ago I went from Window to Pyramid and all the way around to Monardella in a horseshoe shaped ridge traverse. There was no time for Arrow and it fell off the radar despite long being in mind. Many aim toward it from Taboose for the classic view of it looming tall over the lake.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

Wow.. I climbed Arrow Peak last year.. from the valley to the east on a 10 day backpack. I think I noted Bob Burd's dayhike in my post..and thought that was a feat not to be repeated. But it looks like you have done it.. Congrats..
themtsarecalling
Topix Acquainted

seanr wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:06 am Interesting. That's the type of outing I've been aiming toward this month with Roads End making a lot of sense for access this fall given closures elsewhere. A couple years ago I went from Window to Pyramid and all the way around to Monardella in a horseshoe shaped ridge traverse. There was no time for Arrow and it fell off the radar despite long being in mind. Many aim toward it from Taboose for the classic view of it looming tall over the lake.
Yeah I think coming up over Taboose is the more enjoyable way to do it for sure. Living in Fresno, just always looking for ways to tackle peaks from the west side to save myself some driving.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I've been there, but not in a day. I loved your report and photos. It was if I was following along. Thanks for posting your report of an awesome adventure and achievement.
themtsarecalling
Topix Acquainted

Thanks! Looking forward to some more big days this summer!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Nice trip, with excellent photo-doc of your route. Are you sure about the Sequoias? Big Juniper trees perhaps? Thanks for the post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
dougieb
Topix Regular

Post by dougieb »

That is quite an accomplishment, thanks for sharing. I went through the upper basin area last year but it was in the thick of the creek fire when the forest shut down and I couldn't even see arrow peak! I wanted to climb it and will go back, probably from Taboose. I'm curious what you bring in your backpack. Any extra warmth or emergency bivy if you can't make it out in the same day?
themtsarecalling
Topix Acquainted

Harlen wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:22 pm Nice trip, with excellent photo-doc of your route. Are you sure about the Sequoias? Big Juniper trees perhaps? Thanks for the post.
I wouldn’t have realized that there were so many little pockets of Sequoias in the range until hiking the JMT this summer. There’s some great Sequoias in random places (some nice ones in the canyon below Silver Pass come to mind). I would have thought juniper as well had I not seen their small tell tape pine cones.
themtsarecalling
Topix Acquainted

dougieb wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:36 am That is quite an accomplishment, thanks for sharing. I went through the upper basin area last year but it was in the thick of the creek fire when the forest shut down and I couldn't even see arrow peak! I wanted to climb it and will go back, probably from Taboose. I'm curious what you bring in your backpack. Any extra warmth or emergency bivy if you can't make it out in the same day?
I have a really cheap bivy that I bring with me and pretty much always a rain jacket and buff. It wouldn’t be the most comfortable night out but I’d certainly survive the night through the mild Sierra summers.