Trip advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
JokerLord
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip advice

Post by JokerLord »

I hope I am not asking a question already addressed, but I couldn't find anything. I am trying to set up a multi-day backpacking trip and the permit situation is rough. I got a permit for Valentine Lake and I was hoping to go x-country up to Bloody lake and across the divide to Ram Lake. I found info on getting over the pass to Ram Lake, but nothing on the feasibility of getting from Valentine Lake to the Bloody Lake basin. It could be because its so easy its not worth mentioning, or rough from either vegetation or boulders that people don't do it. I was hoping to hear from anyone who might have traveled cross country above Valentine Lake and any advice.

Thanks so much!

John
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Trip advice

Post by grampy »

@JokerLord -
I did a quick internet search, and I couldn’t find even one entry mentioning both these lakes together. So that might be your first clue. Just looking at Google Earth, it looks like a straight shot up the ridge separating the two lakes might be an unpleasant trudge up steep scree slopes. Just by studying a topo map, you can probably find a better way. For example, if you continued up the drainage (southward) above Valentine to where the 10,600’ contour line “pinches together” and then start turning east over the ridge toward Bloody Lake, looks like it might work. But on G.E., even this looks like a long walk through talus for not much payoff.
You didn’t mention when your trip is happening. Have you considered checking for a different permit when “walk-in” quota allocations get posted (2 weeks before your trail entry date) ?
JokerLord
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip advice

Post by JokerLord »

Grampy,

Yeah, I think you are right, I am going to shoot for a walk in permit. Thanks for the input, if tenable it would probably be miserable.

JD