Route Feedback: Crabtree -> Buck -> Big

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Shaggy
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Route Feedback: Crabtree -> Buck -> Big

Post by Shaggy »

Morning fellow folk!

Only my third (multi-day) trip so far this year and think I've settled on the following route: Crabtree TH to Buck Lake for the first night, Buck to Big Lake for the second night and then back to Crabtree on Day 3.

I always prefer a loop (even partial loops) to straight out and backs so I tried to "loop" this as much as possible. I spent some time in Crabtree area last season but was hiking just a bit more north out of the Gianelli trailhead (even did one "loop" from Gianelli to Crabtree and *wildly* underestimated how much it would suck walking the fireroads from Crabtree back up to Gianelli). So, while I've hiked the trail from Crabtree to Deer a few times as part of other trips, I've never made it out to Buck or down to Big.

The first day's hike, Crabtree to Buck seems straightforward (but I'm always open to input!) so I'm particularly interested in any feedback on the best route from Buck to Big on day two. As planned, retrace the trail from Buck, dropping down to Wood and then following the trail that runs along Buck Meadow Creek then dropping down toward Pingree and Big. Headed back to Crabtree on day three, the plan is to head up on the trail to Rosasco and follow the lower Bell Meadow trail back to the Crabtree trailhead.

Interested in what anyone who's spent more time out there than me (which is anyone as this is my first time to Buck & Big) has to say (and THANKS in advance)!

Also, as planned, day two (Buck to Big) should be an easy low-mile day so if anyone has a favorite "gotta see" spot near Big, I'm all ears there too (else, I plan to just explore around Big).

Thanks again - love this place (though I mostly just lurk)!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Re: Route Feedback: Crabtree -> Buck -> Big

Post by Love the Sierra »

I thought Emigrant Lake was just stunning when I was there. The shape of the lake and the way the steep granite comes all the way to the Lake’s edge and the lupin meadow right before you get to the lake are really fantastic! I’ve never been to Big Lake so I cannot compare. However, since you asked, I thought I would let you know how wonderful Emmigrant Lake is. Buck Lake is also pretty spectacular with plenty of granite nooks and crannies to explore. Lots of great places to camp too.
Have fun!
mort
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mort »

Shaggy wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 am The first day's hike, Crabtree to Buck seems straightforward (but I'm always open to input!) so I'm particularly interested in any feedback on the best route from Buck to Big on day two. As planned, retrace the trail from Buck, dropping down to Wood and then following the trail that runs along Buck Meadow Creek then dropping down toward Pingree and Big. Headed back to Crabtree on day three, the plan is to head up on the trail to Rosasco and follow the lower Bell Meadow trail back to the Crabtree trailhead.
Hello Shaggy.
This is Big Lake one month ago.
Very pretty! Fascinating granite, and a sense of remote solitude. But there aren't many good camp sites. One is right in the trail, and the big camper site (about the middle of the west side) was wrecked by the Mono wind last winter. In fact, many trails were affected. Some major work sawing and moving trees and rerouting trails has been done, but not all the trails that show on maps are maintained. I can't say what it will be like going from Wood Lake to Big Lake. The trail from Big to Rosasco crosses some sublime granite slabs. I recommend you take some time to wander around in that area. Being such a dry year there won't be much water, but it is still stunning.
Rosasco has an excellent swimming spot with diving rocks 5 10 and 15 feet in to deep water. On the north shore near the west end of the lake.
We heard that the Pine Valley trail was very hard to follow, due to the fallen trees, especially near Grouse Lake. We took the Piute creek - Camp Lake trail.
I hope you have a wonderful time.
-mort
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

@mort Wonderful! Maybe my next trip?
Thanks for the pics!
Shaggy
Topix Novice

Post by Shaggy »

Thanks @Love the Sierra and @mort for the feedback! I absolutely can't wait to get out there (and mort - you definitely made Rosasco our day trip destination, I still love a good rock jumping spot!).

Appreciate the feedback!
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

Shaggy wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 am Morning fellow folk!

Only my third (multi-day) trip so far this year and think I've settled on the following route: Crabtree TH to Buck Lake for the first night, Buck to Big Lake for the second night and then back to Crabtree on Day 3.

I always prefer a loop (even partial loops) to straight out and backs so I tried to "loop" this as much as possible. I spent some time in Crabtree area last season but was hiking just a bit more north out of the Gianelli trailhead (even did one "loop" from Gianelli to Crabtree and *wildly* underestimated how much it would suck walking the fireroads from Crabtree back up to Gianelli). So, while I've hiked the trail from Crabtree to Deer a few times as part of other trips, I've never made it out to Buck or down to Big.

The first day's hike, Crabtree to Buck seems straightforward (but I'm always open to input!) so I'm particularly interested in any feedback on the best route from Buck to Big on day two. As planned, retrace the trail from Buck, dropping down to Wood and then following the trail that runs along Buck Meadow Creek then dropping down toward Pingree and Big. Headed back to Crabtree on day three, the plan is to head up on the trail to Rosasco and follow the lower Bell Meadow trail back to the Crabtree trailhead.

Interested in what anyone who's spent more time out there than me (which is anyone as this is my first time to Buck & Big) has to say (and THANKS in advance)!

Also, as planned, day two (Buck to Big) should be an easy low-mile day so if anyone has a favorite "gotta see" spot near Big, I'm all ears there too (else, I plan to just explore around Big).

Thanks again - love this place (though I mostly just lurk)!
Hi Shaggy,

Crabtree to Buck is a good haul. Using the Pine Valley trailhead near Crabtree and the Pine Valley (lower) route saves a lot of elevation gain and drop. It's not the most scenic route but it's easier. The trailhead on my map avoids the horse camp and a good deal of the elevation gain of the Crabtree trailhead. The Forest Service uses it.

The spot you show as your camp at Buck is closed to camping (site restoration) and has a lot of downed trees in it. I've put a couple of other options (approx locations) on the map. The Eastern shore has some nice campsites also.

If you are experienced with cross country travel the route to Big that I've put on the map is great. There is no maintained trail and it is randomly marked. You do however get to visit Karls, Leighton and Kole lakes on the way. I'd be surprised if you saw anyone on that route, lots of solitude.

I've also added an approximate route from Big to the main trail. It saves you the hot dusty climb up to Rosasco. Again, it's cross country but shorter. Once you push over the saddle follow the seasonal creek down. It's not technical.

FYI, the valley between Rosasco and Pingree is forested and it's easy to lose the trail in there.

If you are not comfortable or experienced with cross country travel I'd stick with the routes on your map.

Enjoy,

Michael

PIne Valley to Buck.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shaggy
Topix Novice

Post by Shaggy »

@mschnaidt - thank you!

I was actually hoping that someone might have some intel on XC to Big! I dig doing XC pathfinding but am always a bit reluctant to do so unless I've been in the area before or I have good intel that it's readily doable because, probably like anyone whose done XC land nav, I've occasionally gotten to places outside my comfort zone and had to backtrack (much) longer than I wanted. I'll definitely spend some time reviewing your map/route tonight so thanks a ton!

...and, yep, Crabtree to Buck will be a hike but a buddy talked me into Cloud's Rest from the floor a couple weeks back and, given where we had to park that day, we ended up totaling ~25 miles up and back (super light day packs of course) so I'm feeling pretty alright about the trek.

Again - thanks!
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

It sounds like you would enjoy these routes.

For more info r.e. Emigrant check out @balzaccom site. Lot's of great info and pics.

https://www.backpackthesierra.com/highw ... onora-pass
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

There is an easy route from Woods Lake down to big Lake via Leighton, Karl's, Red Can, Five Acre, and Yellowhammer. The key to that route is to get to the southeast corner of Red Can. There is a large granite block (4' high) that marks the ramp down to Five Acre. From there it is all class II.

But while it sounds as if you are in great shape, xc always takes a lot more time. Don't count on racking up the miles whiles your trying to find the best route ..we average half of our regular hiking speed when we go xc.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

I don't know the way to Big Lake, but wanted to comment on the Pine Valley Trail. Was there in late summer 2019, and it was awful. Just dusty as all get-out; full of horse poop generated by the world's longest packtrains. Some of the worst I have ever seen in the Sierra.

I took a lateral trail up to the Crabtree Trail at the first opportunity. It is _so much nicer_ on Crabtree Trail. All those ups & downs are gentle. It doesn't really add all that much time.