Weather and Fishing Conditions in Emmigrant and Ansel Adams

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
m11ke21
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Weather and Fishing Conditions in Emmigrant and Ansel Adams

Post by m11ke21 »

I am trying to plan a several day backpacking/fishing trip in this region. I am wondering what the weather is like at 9,000-10,000 feet this time of year (mid-june). Any other suggestions on where to go? We are planning on leaving on June 9.
m11ke21
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Weather and Fishing Conditions in Emmigrant and Ansel Adams

Post by m11ke21 »

Any suggestions on where to head this time of year... lower elevation lakes etc.. would be great.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Weather and Fishing Conditions in Emmigrant and Ansel Adams

Post by windknot »

I'm not positive on this, but I don't think most lakes in the 9,000-10,000 range at that latitude will be thawed by early June this year. I was at a lake at 6500ft in the same area (Kibbie) on Memorial Day weekend and that was fine, but it's also much lower in elevation than your targets. Several Emigrant Wilderness lakes should be fine for fishing about now, considering that most are well below 9,000 feet. I haven't fished the area yet though so I'm afraid I can't give you any better information.

In terms of other options, I would look toward Desolation or NW Yosemite for good backpacking/fishing trips at this time of year. Most Desolation lakes should be good to go about now and many offer nice fishing.

Hope this helps!

Matt