Food Supply to Muir Ranch

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lederhose
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Food Supply to Muir Ranch

Post by lederhose »

Hallo High Sierra Comunity !

I am lederhose from Austria and I am planning to do JMT starting from Tuolumne on June 29.
I will arrive at Muir Ranch around July 5.
Due to the fact that I will arrive in the States only on June 27 i am afraid that I can not send in time a resupply to Muir Ranch.
Someone can give me informations about a resupply service to Muir Ranch ?
In internet I have read that Muir Ranch will not sell food to the JMT hikers. Is this true ?
Do you know if there are some agencies organizing food supplies (of course paying for that service !).
Thank you in advance for your indications.

Best regards from Austria

Lederhose
paul
Topix Expert

Re: Food Supply to Muir Ranch

Post by paul »

You might be able to ship it directly from Austria - though that might be costly. I would contact them directly and see if they have any ideas.
This is the page on their website that discusses resupply options:

http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is their email address:

howdy@muirtrailranch.com <howdy@muirtrailranch.com>
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

lederhose wrote:Hallo High Sierra Comunity !

I am lederhose from Austria and I am planning to do JMT starting from Tuolumne on June 29.
I will arrive at Muir Ranch around July 5.
Due to the fact that I will arrive in the States only on June 27 i am afraid that I can not send in time a resupply to Muir Ranch.
Someone can give me informations about a resupply service to Muir Ranch ?
In internet I have read that Muir Ranch will not sell food to the JMT hikers. Is this true ?
Do you know if there are some agencies organizing food supplies (of course paying for that service !).
Thank you in advance for your indications.

Best regards from Austria

Lederhose
Muir Trail Ranch will not sell food. You may find some free food left behind by other hikers. You may be too early in the season to rely on that, but last year on July 20, there was enough food in the "hiker buckets" to feed 5 people for a week. You are getting there early in the season, though, so I would not want to have to rely on the leftovers.

Another idea - If you know somebody in the US who you trust, have them set up your food depots and paypal them the cash to do it. I don't know of any agencies that do that. There's just no demand for something like that. There are horse packers who can meet you in the mountains, but you still have to send the food to them and they cost hundreds of dollars.

You can ship food to Vermillion Valley Resort, which is just a day's hike north of Muir Trail Ranch, but they also ask that you send it 10-14 days prior to arriving. They do sell food too hikers, although the selection is somewhat limited. Still, if you have problems with the food shipment to Muir Trail Ranch, you can pick up food at VVR and grab some more at Muir Trail Ranch from the leftover buckets.

The VVR website:
http://www.edisonlake.com/site/index.ph ... &Itemid=42

VVR also has a "hiker barrel" with free food left behind by others.

Another idea - mail food to yourself at Mono Springs Post Office (see picture in above link) - it is located right between VVR and Muir Ranch. Change your route in that area and simply hike past VVR, hitch a ride if possible to Mono Hot Springs, get your food package and buy some fresh food there, then hike or hitch-hike to Florence Lake and pick up the Muir Trail right behidn the Muir Ranch. You're not really missing out on any of the Muir Trail Highlights if you do that.

If you have some time and a rental car before you get to Yosemite, just drive up to Mono Hot Springs and bring your food up there. Or you can hike it up to Muir Trail Ranch yourself to deposit the food - about a 3 hour round trip from Florence Lake.

hey - I'll be at Tuolumne Meadows in June 29, too, staying in the campground before we start our Muir Trail hike on June 30 in Yosemite Valley - I just realized that I have to get going with my food purchases so I can get our food mailed out in time...
lederhose
Topix Newbie

Post by lederhose »

Hallo Fishmonger !

Thank you for the complete and interesting reply.

Ciao from Graz

Ezio