Sierra conditions for a Washington dufus

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
rubberlegs
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Sierra conditions for a Washington dufus

Post by rubberlegs »

Howdy all,

We are going on a backpack trip north of the end of Hwy 180's end, towards Cartridge Pass and Granite Pass and Bench Lake and environs. What snow conditions should we expect? Should I bring an axe if I want to do some peakbagging off trail?

Up here in Washington I pretty much always bring an axe, but the North Cascades ain't the Sierra! This is my first overnight trip in the Sierra so I'm a complete newbie.

Thanks all,
-rubberlegs
MooseTracks
Topix Regular

Re: Sierra conditions for a Washington dufus

Post by MooseTracks »

Rubberlegs:

Conditions are pretty variable up there right now, but for the most part melted out. If you try to bag some peaks with chutes/colouirs to the summits, you may encounter some snow/neve ice, but I would generally think you can stay on rock around most of it.

Good luck, be safe, and have a great time!

-Laura :cool:
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621
rubberlegs
Topix Newbie

Re: Sierra conditions for a Washington dufus

Post by rubberlegs »

Thanks, Moose. You were right! No snow was any issue for us.