The 10-second timer run and pose self shot.

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

The 10-second timer run and pose self shot.

Post by SSSdave »

Most 35mm or digital cameras have delay timers that allow one to actuate the shutter and then move into one's frame to take a picture of oneself or to include oneself into a group photo. Often we run to our selected spot and don't set up fast enough which catches us in some awkward position or facial expression. I've been doing this for years and sometimes take shots where I need to set up at a difficult to reach spot. A typical situation is a shot of a rock wall where the ground isn't shown so a viewer won't know it is barely off the ground. I'll run and grab some ledge with my fingertips, push my feet onto some slight grip and hang in a climbing pose looking like I'm on some gnarly route.

Yesterday I was wandering about some blue oak grasslands and came upon a fine tree. I grew up in suburban Sacramento where there were lots of oak trees and climbing them was a constant challenging game with we kids. So on this shot I first climbed up to a spot on the trunk to check how fast I needed to move and set up. Then set up my camera, actuated the timer, ran, jumped up aggressively to the first trunk split, climbed up a bit higher on the trunk, turned around to sit down, smiled, and got the shot on the first try. Maybe some of you others have a shot of yourself from a difficult self shot.

Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Nice shot, Dave! I have quite a few booty shots trying to run into pics.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

Cool tree and cool shot Dave!

Snowy...let's see those booty shots :p

I was goofing around with some timer shots a couple of weeks ago while on Blueridge....

copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Cool shots Dave and windwalker.

I normally don't go to the effort to take self portraits because they always end up being of photo of me running away. This one I managed because somehow I had the patience that day. No tripod...I had to balance the camera on an icy rock and the camera always wanted to slip to the side. I then had to jump down and position myself so I didn't slip off another rock while crouching down so I'd be in the picture.

krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

I think I have mastered this technique, mostly due to having to take pics of myself so that wifey will really think my "friend" went with me on what were really solo trips....she would freak out! I feel kind of bad, but if you can't find anyone to go, what are you gonna do? :D

"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Can't find the one I was thinking of, but here's one of me flying into the picture:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/764 ... 2298kDyVvK
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

The weight of my pack threw me forward and I almost landed on my face here.

SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Windwalker wrote:...

I was goofing around with some timer shots a couple of weeks ago while on Blueridge....
Windwalker, you need to add the annotation, "on the brink 1000 feet straight down"
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Great shots!

Here's a couple of mine from the JMT around Forester Pass. My two partners were about 10 minutes up the trail because they were worried about an approaching storm as I lagged behind taking lots of photos. Since they were gone, I had to use myself as a model, ha!

This is looking back down from where we just came from.

This is a self-portrait looking the other direction, towards the last big lake under Forester Pass.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Krudler I'd bet the trout is against the shady rock wall out left.

Trailblazer you might get yourself one of those tiny light Ultrapods which easily hold tiny compact digicams.

A little editing fun SnowNymph. :nod:

Of course those timer shots you took Buck required running to the spot with your pack on your back. That does add an extra bit of awkwardness.

Here is another 10-second flash timer shot I made last summer. This is near the Middle Fork of the San Joaquin River about 1/3 mile below Thousand Island Lake. Dusk after a piddly afternoon rain. After getting my stove going to the right of my head, I decided to take a camp shot while waiting for dinner so put my Coolpix atop my tripod, set up the controls, depressed the shutter, and quickly footed across several rocks then jumped back down and underneath my bag.

My blue/black OR Basic bivy is lumped in a pile to my left though never used it that night. I backpack with my bivy more often than one of my tents. Like being out under the Universe. This was early August and squeeters were not too bad. The sleeping bag is a -5 degree REI Elements which that night I just layed atop the orange Thermarest and used it like a blanket. To my right is the Garcia since I like it next to me for snacking in the evening. Use my orange photo daypack and extra clothing in a stuff bag for a headrest. The black and red rectangular bags to my left laying atop my Levi's are my film holder carriers I soon spent some time with changebag removing the exposed film sheets and installing new film into.