Window Peak Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Zoltan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Window Peak Question

Post by Zoltan »

I'm hoping to get to the Window Peak drainage in mid-June this year. The plan is to enter via Woods Creek trail, head north on the JMT and climb to the basin via the first outlet north of Castle Domes. We're then hoping to find a pass over to White Fork drainage, back down to the JMT and out.

I know from Secor that the outlet from Lake 10680 is possible, but a little brushy at the bottom. Anybody here have some experience with this route?

My other question is about finding a pass to White Fork drainage and then down White Fork. I can't find any info in Secor and am wondering if it's feasible.

We tried to get into Window basin from the north via Explorer Pass last June, but the avalanche danger was acute and I don't want to try that again.

If this helps with a reply, I have a fair amount of experience with x-c travel, having done the Sierra High Route and several other trail-less areas; Muro Blanco, Gardiner Basin and a lot of travel in SE Yosemite and Ansel Adams. I'm fine on class 2, class 3 is not something I seek out. We'll have nine days to explore.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

~Zoltan
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Window Peak Question

Post by maverick »

Hi Zoltan

There are two class 2 passes entering the White Fork area, one is due south from the
last large lake before Pinochet Pass, the other is from the lake basin east of Arrow
Peak above the largest, and highest lake in this basin.
Once in the White Forks area head for the second (lower) cluster of lakes, and head up
due west from the lakes towards the class 2 pass, and once over you will be in the
Window Creek drainage. Sok szerencset!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Zoltan
Topix Acquainted

Post by Zoltan »

Thanks for the info Maverick. One more question if I may. Once at the lower lakes of White Basin, is the pass north or south of Peak 12100? The north one looks easier on the map.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You'll see on your map in that lower cluster of lakes a small lake that is shaped
like a kidney near the large lake(largest lake in the basin), the pass is west of
this kidney lake, and east of the large lake in the middle of Window Creek drainage.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Zoltan
Topix Acquainted

Post by Zoltan »

Excellent! Thanks for the info Maverick!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I (we) once hiked from WP to the pass to the White Fork. Interesting hike. Good views. No fish on the With Fork (unlike the lakes under WP). I did it with two boys (11 & 13). They had no trouble with it. We hiked from WP lakes to the summit, down the creek and to the junction (bridge) in a day. No problem.
Zoltan
Topix Acquainted

Post by Zoltan »

Sounds like this trip is a go! Thanks for the information!