Sierra High Route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Whiplash
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Sierra High Route

Post by Whiplash »

I'm thinking of hiking the portion of the SHR from Tuolumne Meadows to Red's Meadow. Any info regarding the terrain and difficulty of that section would be greatly appreciated. Also, an estimation as to the total mileage would help.
Thanks
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra High Route

Post by maverick »

Hi Whiplash

Welcome to HST.
Please check out the "Suggestions for requesting trip advice" section above, so
we can give advice according to you experience level.
There are some rugged area's that you will need to pass through, x-country
experience, and route finding knowledge is a must. Thanks.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Whiplash
Topix Novice

Post by Whiplash »

maverick:
My apologies. I didn't see that thread.
To give you some idea as to my experience, I am comfortable with both trail and cross-country travel. I'm 51 years old and have been traveling in the outdoors for over 40 years. My backpacking experience began in Boy Scouts at the age of 9.
I've been on numerous pack-in elk hunts in Colorado over the past 30 years, all of which were off-trail and required detailed map/compass navigation.
While I can negotiate Class 3 scrambles, I would not like to do them every day, if avoidable.
My plan this summer is to hike the JMT, but having done the portion from Happy Isles to Red's Meadow in the past, I am looking at more of a hybrid approach. I'm wanting to start in Tuolumne Meadows, go up Rafferty Creek trail, thru Volsang High Sierra Camp, and continue on the SHR to Red's Meadow. From Red's, I intend to continue on the JMT to WP.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Whiplash, check out posts from Wandering Daisy. She has fairly recently (within the last year) posted TRs for the entire High Route, and she did the section you're talking about "backwards," the way I think you're planning.
—B²
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here is WD trip report with pic's : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5455&p=34205#p34205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also you will find quite a few trip reports to each individual area that may interest you
by using the search function.
Get the "Sierra High Route" by Steve Roper to describe the route in its entire length.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Hi Whiplash. Do you like to fish? There's some good fishing in the vicinity of the HSR.
Whiplash
Topix Novice

Post by Whiplash »

JT:
I love to fish, but its not going to fit into my plans on this trip.
I'm planning to actually hike from Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney Portal, but I'm planning kind of a hybrid trip. My plan is to take the SHR out of TM via Rafferty Creek and stay on that route until it joins the JMT just north of Devil's Postpile. From there, I will stay on the JMT to Whitney.
I've hiked the JMT from Happy Isles to Red's Meadow in the past, so I'm wanting to get a different view of the amazing scenery.
Maverick:
Thanks for the link. I was able to find WD's trip report for that trip. It has been an awesome source of information. Thanks again and a huge thank you to wandering daisy for her great trip reports.
Zoltan
Topix Acquainted

Post by Zoltan »

Whiplash: I thru-hiked the SHR in 2008, south to north. Kept a pretty detailed journal. obviously it's the opposite direction, but it may offer some useful information. Have a fantastic trip! ~Zoltan

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=7986" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whiplash
Topix Novice

Post by Whiplash »

Zoltan:
Thank you for the link. I have actually been reading your journal. It has been very informative. I'm on my second read of your entries. They have been very helpful.
Thanks again,
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

This thread was nice for it gave me the opportunity to discover and read WD's 4-part TR of her adventure. Wow. It was really good because it made me go back and look at topics from the past, which I hadn't really seriously done before. There is a lot of good stuff back there in the history of the backpacking topix record.

I've done most of this in snippets here and there over the years, and been over the southen (southeastern) portions many times, but doing it in one trip is inviting. Maybe not doable at this time of my life as I do like the slow-go and lite-as-possible-pack method, so breaking it up would be the way to go. I don't like to go out for more than 10-14 days; and preferably not over 10. There's only so much time.