REQUEST FOR CAMPING ADVICE

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dastile33
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

REQUEST FOR CAMPING ADVICE

Post by dastile33 »

Hi,

I've taken my two young girls (10 & 8) for several weekend car camping trips in the Los Padres forest, but i want to kick it into a bit more authentic by planning a trip into the southern high Sierra's with them. Need advice on best destinations on the southern east (395) or west Sierra within a 5 or 6 hour drive from LA. Was thinking Red Meadows but did not want to be submerged in tourist-ville. Is it tourist-ville there?

Goal is to find a unique, a little-off-the-beaten-path, gem with lake and or river campsites so kids can play or fish in water, located in high elevation, with high sierra lake or waterfall hikes not greater than 2 or 3 miles away. I like to avoid crowds, but don't want to be a lone camper either.

4 or 5 day trip. Needs to be CAR CAMPING or WALK-IN (not far from the car) kind of spot.

I was thinking Kennedy Meadows, Mineral King, or Red Meadows. Please suggest better or best campgrounds by name so i can research alternatives.

Thanks for your suggestions.
bluefintu
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: REQUEST FOR CAMPING ADVICE

Post by bluefintu »

Bishop area has South Lake, North Lake and Lake Sabrina all has camping near by. Alittle further north, Rock Creek Lake, very nice and high, must have a "pie in the sky". Great pies. Convict Lake is also very nice, also must eat a the four star restraunt for dinner. Mammoth Lakes has all kinds of camping, pick and choose.

Please be carefull if you camp by a stream or river. All are running very high and fast. I also have kids and I won't go fishing with them by a river.

Kennedy Meadows is hot and smokey right know. High river flows that will be dangerous. Good luck, can't go wrong in the High Sieera.

Don
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: REQUEST FOR CAMPING ADVICE

Post by rlown »

Welcome to HST, dastile33.

if you're camping, june lake loop.. North/South/Sabrina are fine, but it's a one way trip to a single lake. Really depends on what you want..