What to do with your pack when you side hike half dome and W

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Aboman
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

What to do with your pack when you side hike half dome and W

Post by Aboman »

What does one do with one's pack when sidehiking Half Dome and Mt. Whitney?
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Re: What to do with your pack when you side hike half dome and W

Post by Troutdog 59 »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heres an earlier link regarding Whitney. Cant help with your HD query, as Ive never hada pack on my back there, but I'm guessing its the same.

This post seems like it would be better served on the Bpack Hiking board??? Just saying!!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Not exactly sure what you mean by "sidehiking".
If what you mean is leaving a pack somewhere down below and heading up the last few miles without it, then...

FYI, Unlike Whitney (other thread), there ARE reported bears that high up near the HD/CR junction. Best approach is to leave the packs there - stashed, unseen from the trail somewhere, (either near this junction or ~.2 miles farther up at the last water - artesian spring). Take everything out of the pack (I mean everything!) and just stack it all up neatly...bear can holding all food/ smellies and open up all pack pockets. Better to have a bear/ critter nose around and be satisfied that there is nothing that they can eat than to have the bear make off with a full backpack, or have some other critter gnaw through a closed pocket.
Mountainman who swims with trout
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

This was taken a couple of miles or so down the trail from half dome three years ago. The bear is on the trail proper. It had no apprehension about us at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

This has been discussed. It's easy to stash your your pack behind rocks, and no one will mess with it. And there might be other packs there to keep yours company. Or just carry it up.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I would never leave a pack anywhere along the trail to Half Dome, because the bears are so habituated they'll take empty ones. (Per the rangers, and accounts from hikers I've talked to who have had their pack snatched up while they are taking pee breaks.) I would take the bear canister out and leave a bunch of stuff inside it to lighten the pack up however. (Not that I am ever doing Half Dome again, hate that trail, hate the crowds, and there are a lot of better trips that don't require fighting for permits.)

For info on bears at/around Whitney, I suggest the Whitney forum - there is a recent thread on bears at http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthread ... ney_Portal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;