Sabrina Basin TR w/video link

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Sabrina Basin TR w/video link

Post by hikerdmb »

I took a 3 day trip up into Sabrina Basin last week. It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Day one drove from San Diego to trailhead and hiked to Blue Lake and spent the night. Day 2 hiked to Sailor Lake, had to wade the creek above Dingleberry Lake, explored around Moonlight and Hungry Packer Lakes, camped at Sailor Lake. Day 3 hiked out and drove home.

Click this link to see a short video of the trip and conditions.
http://youtu.be/s8Dey_fPFiM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wshawkins
Topix Acquainted

Re: Sabrina Basin TR w/video link

Post by wshawkins »

Great video hikerdmb! Can't believe you took it on a I phone! I cancelled a trip earlier this year due to lack of access due to the snow pack this year. I see your dog had a great time also. Did you fish at all? Some of the lakes you were at have some decent size fish in them.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Excellent Video!! What is Wylie responsible for carrying in his doggy pack, and how did you keep it dry, given some of the crossings you did?
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

Thanks for the likes on the video. I also can't believe what you can do with an iPhone. This was my first movie I put together from a trip. I didn't fish but saw some people catching lots of fish at Blue Lake and also saw lots of fish in Sailor Lake. As far as Wylie goes... he carries his own food and snacks and a couple of collapsable bowls. He also carries his leash in his pack but we rarely use it. He has very good trail manners and is under voice control. He swims, or if it's not deep enough he walks or lays down, in EVERY body of water we pass on the trail so I make sure to put his food in zip lock bags inside his pack. His pack has drain holes so all the water drains out eventually and his food stays dry. When we backpack in the desert he also carries his own water. He is just 3 years old and has been doing this since he was just a pup. It's a tight fit in my one man tent with him but it is worth bringing him along.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Wylie looks smarter about travel. not the back and forth wasted energy i get from my lab, Samantha on our duck hunts. But yes, they love the crossings/water..
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

Thanks for the views! :)

Went to the Sabrina Basin last year August 9-14. More snow this year and Moonlight Falls has more water. We had a smooth coated border collie along who carried her own pack. She loves to dip in the water on hikes but wouldn't when she was "working" carrying her pack. (She also didn't understand why all of us pulled our sleeping bags out of our tents and spread out on granite slabs to watch the Perseid meteor showers. Otherwise, I think she thoroughly enjoyed her first overnights in the wilderness.)
claytona
Topix Newbie

Post by claytona »

hikerdmb, how were the mosquitoes there?

i was thinking about doing a 3-4 day solo trip during the 3rd or 4th week of august and take it easy since im still relatively new.

thanks in advance
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

claytona...great place for a solo trip, easy trail and no deep crossings, not to mention the scenery. The skeeters were manageable with deet and a headnet at dusk and dawn, probably a 3 on a 1-5 scale. During the day the only places with bugs were the wetter parts of the trail. Most of the daytime hours there were none. Have a great trip! I didn't get to Midnight Lake on this trip but I have been there before and it is also spectacular, with Mt. Darwin as a backdrop.
claytona
Topix Newbie

Post by claytona »

Thanks dmb, look forward to going and ill put a TR once i get back!