yosemite, t.m. snow conditions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
socalroller
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

yosemite, t.m. snow conditions

Post by socalroller »

I am planning a hike from t.m. to happy isles with a visit to half dome and maybe clouds rest by way of cathedral lakes this next week 6/26-? I have seen some posts on a few other message boards regarding alot of snow still in the higher elev. I have done this hike beofre but I am not much of a snow hiker. I was wondering if anyone here has been up in this area lately and what the conditions were like . thanks for your help
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Snow

Post by gdurkee »

The snow in Kings Canyon is a few feet deep above about 10,400 -- very high water. Evolution Creek is probably not crossable for another 10 days or so. Yosemite will be similar. The good news is the Kern seems to have gotten less snow and that is melting very fast (well, it's all melting very fast the last week, but the main trails of the Kern are now semi-clear -- supposedly OK to get in over Cottonwood Pass. Whitney, of course, has a lot of snow on Trailcrest still. Forester has maybe 4+ miles total, but PCT hikers seem to be getting over OK. Glen north will be a major thrash for maybe 2+ weeks yet.

If I were to guess (and I am...) you'll have a fair amount of snow much of the way with some trail finding problems. I don't remember any major stream crossings on that route, though.

George