Bowman Lake Road/FR 17/FR 14 — 05/11/12

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bowman Lake Road/FR 17/FR 14 — 05/11/12

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I drove up Bowman Lake Road on Friday, May 11 in Tahoe NF. I was able to drive 1.25 miles up FR 14 (Grouse Ridge Road) before I came to a snow patch I was uncomfortable crossing in my Subaru. I think a 4x4 with good clearance would have no trouble. On FR 17 (to Carr/Feeley Lakes) I was able to get 2 miles up the road before I had to stop. Again, a good 4x4 should be able to continue. I'd say that FR 17 will be completely melted out within 2 weeks if this weather pattern holds. Not sure about FR 14 as I've never been further up than Friday.
DSC05256.JPG
It's more than a full month ahead of the melt out from last year. Much less snow than at the end of June 2011.
DSC04634.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
bxd
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Bowman Lake Road/FR 17/FR 14 — 05/11/12

Post by bxd »

Hey CDM, from the direction you came in, how was Bowman Lake Rd. itself? Was it washed-out or otherwise impassable? Just trying to gauge whether or not we can get up to the lake in the next couple weeks.

Thanks!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bowman Lake Road/FR 17/FR 14 — 05/11/12

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Welcome to the forum, bxd. I drove from Hwy. 20 to Forest Road 17. There were absolutely no issues at all--not even any snow left on the side. I don't know the condition of the road past FR 17, but judging from what I saw, I'd say you don't have anything to worry about. It even appeared that a crew had already been through to deal with the deadfall and such.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.