PCT - Echo Summit to Donner Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wallguy
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

PCT - Echo Summit to Donner Pass

Post by Wallguy »

Hey Ya'll,
Nice to be a part of your discussions. I am a 59 year old man. I have been an avid camper most of my life. When I was younger I used to backpack a lot. As I've gotten older I have gotten out of packing and more in to car camping and day hiking. But now I an thinking about getting back in to some backpacking. I am probably going to do the PCT between Echo Summit and Donner Pass for a start and maybe later Tuolumne Meadows to Sonora Pass (some of my old stomping grounds).
I'd like to hear what you all think about this endeavor and what your experiences were on your trips on this part of the PCT. I have also worked up some maps for both these sections if anyone is interested. My website should be listed, if not message me.
Thanks, Wallguy
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: PCT - Echo Summit to Donner Pass

Post by overheadx2 »

Wallguy, I to recently returned to backpacking a few years ago after years of hiatus. When I was younger I used to carry a 40 to 50 pound pack, and had trouble with altitude sickness and couldn't do more than 2 MPH with maybe 1 MPH up passes. We would get to camp late and BEAT. Being almost fifty now, here is what I have learned on my return. Rule #1- Go light. Rule #2 - Go light. Not crazy light, but light.
If you follow these rules, you will have a blast.

Truthfully, I spent a little extra $ on a 2 pound 15 degree big Agnes sleeping Bag, an ultralight tent(not a tarp since I like rain and bug protection) and an ultra lite Osprey pack. on My latest trip, my pack with food and water for a 7 day trip including a Delorme emergency beacon, fishing gear and bear canisters was 29 pounds (16 with just my gear). 1.5 MPH over passes and 3 MPH the rest of the time is easy when your pack is that light. Don't bring anything you don't need, but don't skimp on essentials since too light can leave you in trouble if things goes side ways. Everyone in my group is 48 to 55. We can usually bust out 7 - 8 miles per day, Start by 7AM, fish along the way, have lunch and a cat nap, and be at our next fishing destination by 1:00.