Shepherd pass water?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Shepherd pass water?

Post by thegib »

I'm planning on camping at Anvil Camp Tues Aug 6. Can anyone who's been up/down Shepherd pass very recently tell me if there's water flowing in the creek? Thanks!
thegib
Topix Regular

Re: Shepherd pass water?

Post by thegib »

Bump dangit.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Have not been up this year but water should not be an issue unless the boulder damage
blocked the creek which was not reported by neither of the two members reporting
about Shepherd Pass, nor has Inyo posted an alert about water conditions on their site.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/news ... RDB5430258" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
runrichrun
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by runrichrun »

My group went up to Shepherd Pass on August 1 and came back down on August 2. The stream at Anvil Camp had a very good flow. Between Symmes Creek and Anvil Camp, I think the only place you can get water is at a stream crossing at about 9100/9200 feet. There was another stream at a lower elevation that had a good flow on August 1, but it was dry on August 2.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Runrichrun,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for supplying this info. Hope to read a TR from you in the
future. :thumbsup:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
JTMtnView
Topix Newbie

Post by JTMtnView »

We were just up there (Aug 22 to 25)

Anvil Camp has plenty of water...

The washout just below Anvil is well marked and not a big deal...

The lake at the pass is the best place to camp as the lake above is almost dry...

There is no snow anywhere (practically the whole Sierras)

There is only one stream between the Saddle and Anvil to get water so make sure yo have some on the way
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi JTMtnView,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for chiming in with this update, looking forward to your TR. :p

JTMtnView
Topix Newbie

Post by JTMtnView »

Went up to Climb Tyndall but were turned back by the Class 2 ridge line and the exposed face did not look so hot either. I am not sure I would rate this as a Class 2 climb given the level of exposure but the walking is quite pleasant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.