Golden Lake near Mono Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Golden Lake near Mono Pass

Post by SSSdave »

Would highly advise backpackers become familiar with Google Earth that is of enormous help looking over potential camping zones and crosscountry routes before trips. So opened GE and changed to the 9/14/2013 imagery date as the current imagery is too snowy.

Also at a minimum OP's ought link to an online topo map as:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.44811,-118.76527&z=15&t=T

And using one's Windows Snipping Tool has obvious use as:
GoldenLake1.jpg
GoldenLake2.jpg
Cgundersen obviously has it right about camping zones. Potential level ground at the outlet area is much smaller probably too close to water sources. The southeast inlet area also has considerable shading whitebark pines to camp beneath and the inlet stream and meadow are obvious lake zones fish would feed near.

As for the route from Mono Pass and Summit Lake that also becomes obvious looking at topo plus GE. The route wanders north gradually down an open treeless alpine landscape with sand, rocks, and scattered boulders, then where that funnels into a constrained ravine is a choice to descend to the inlet stream zone down the ravine or take a use trail across steep sandy slopes shown as red t's above. And note the GE view shows this all in better magnified detail. Those that take the use trail don't get to visit the inlet areas. If at the inlet area, GE shows the route along the small talus lined west shore preferable to that of the steeper est shore.[/color]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I remember a LOT of wind there. The reason I suggested camping near the outlet is because there are large rocks as well, and some break from the wind.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Just got back today. Skipped Golden lake, lots of things changed a bit as they sometimes will. I'll try to get a report and some pics up soon.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

SSSDave, thanks for your input. I have Nat Geo software that I use for mapping and also use Acme alot because I like the satellite images plus it's fast to pull up. Too much snow in the images was a big problem when I was looking at the lake and I didn't even think to try and use Google and change the dates. I'll try to remember to do that in the future.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the update Gary, looking forward to your report!