TR: Red Mountain Basin area, 6/24 - 29

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RodofJ
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Red Mountain Basin area, 6/24 - 29

Post by RodofJ »

I left Maxson trailhead on Sunday around 2:00. Just on the trail I passed a few groups with a total of like 20 people; about half were wearing headnets, gloves, etc... not a good sign:) Got to Fleming lake around 7:00 and was pretty tired; I just crawled in my tent and went to bed; mosquitos were so-so in the morning...

Headed up to Hell For Sure Lake and pass. There were enough mosquitos at the lake that I didn't really want to hang out there, even though it was beautiful:
HFSSmall.jpg
Went to the top of the pass, the breeze or whatever gave a nice respite from the bugs. I think this is looking back south/west from the pass:
HFSPassSmall.jpg
When I got back down to the lake the mosquitoes were pretty much gone.
I camped at Big Shot Lake. It was beautiful and around 4:00 was pretty bug free. About an hour later they found me. Not terrible, but bad enough that I didn't want to hang out so I sat in my tent for the next few hours. Next morning was the same; gorgeous spot where I'd give anything to just sit and stare and drink coffee, but the bugs wouldn't have it. I was pretty disappointed.
MoonOverBigShot.jpg
I hiked to Halfmoon Lake. The trip had some really nice sections, maybe a bit too much relatively "uninteresting" time in the forest.
DevilsPunchbowl.jpg
Halfmoon Lake was great. I found a nice campsite, bugs were pretty minimal.
Halfmoon.jpg
I was sort of hesitant to leave the nice, relatively bugless spot, so on Wed. I just day-hiked and fished Crown Lake. Met some guys who rode horses in to fish; those were the first people I'd seen since I left. Spent another night at Halfmoon -
HalfmoonII.jpg
Thursday I started heading back; ran into a few people on the trail. Trying to decide between just leaving or spending a night at Hobbler Lake. I didn't think it was the nicest place, but I didn't really want to drive home that late or sleep in my car... Ended up having a good night and the lake was pretty in the morning:
Hobler.jpg
So it was a fun trip. A little bit of a mosquito problem, but more than that just the threat of them, sort of not knowing if each evening or morning would be a delightful experience or something to just put up with. Generally it was really nice and not crowded. The routes I picked were nice but maybe a bit too much nondescript forest time...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Red Mountain Basin area, 6/24 - 29

Post by TehipiteTom »

Thanks for this report. Looks like snow isn't going to be a problem much of anywhere. How were the stream crossings?
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the report, especially the photos.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Rodofj, I really like that picture of Halfmoon Lake with the Scepter in the center and the tree framing it on the right. Nicely done!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Reads like you are yet another person hiking early summer that has not discovered how to dress with clothes mosquitoes cannot penetrate and use 100% DEET on the little exposed remaining skin on face/hands.
RodofJ
Topix Acquainted

Post by RodofJ »

SSSdave wrote:Reads like you are yet another person hiking early summer that has not discovered how to dress with clothes mosquitoes cannot penetrate and use 100% DEET on the little exposed remaining skin on face/hands.
Constructive but uninformed comments - my clothing was, as far as I know, impermeable to even the most determined mosquito. My DEET was 98.11%; I'm hoping/assuming the other 1.89% is not a mosquito attractant, and 100% DEET would not have changed my experience.
RodofJ
Topix Acquainted

Post by RodofJ »

TehipiteTom wrote:Thanks for this report. Looks like snow isn't going to be a problem much of anywhere. How were the stream crossings?
No problems with any streams; I rock/log hopped across all except the north fork kings at Big Maxson Meadow - it was wide but very shallow (like ankle deep). If there were any streams that someone might have been uncomfortable jumping across you could have just waded across.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Some of us just do not enjoy sitting out with a head net. I have yet learned to be calm and relaxed with all the buzzing beasties in my face (or sitting on my net) even though they do not bite because I AM covered up with bite-proof clothing. It really is nothing like relaxing on a rock watching sunset in late season.

I am looking at a map and cannot find a Halfmoon Lake. Where is it?

The lake I liked the most was Horseshoe Lake. I camped out on the peninsula where the view was great and it was breezy.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

WD, Rodofj didn't go to Bench Valley on this trip. Rodofj went from Devils Punchbowl down to Big Maxson Meadow, crossed North Fork Kings River, and then up to Halfmoon Lake. 37.0495,-118.85
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I am looking at a map and cannot find a Halfmoon Lake. Where is it?
Right here.