TR: Stubblefield Canyon - Tilden Lake loop from Leavitt

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lvray
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Stubblefield Canyon - Tilden Lake loop from Leavitt

Post by lvray »

Route: Leavitt Meadow - Upper Piute Meadow - Rainbow Canyon - Stubblefield Canyon - Tilden Lake - Mary Lake - Tower Lake - Leavitt Meadow
Dates: June 27 to July 3

Started from Leavitt Meadow and headed up the West Walker River. On the way in, we saw the typical large crowds around Roosevelt & Lane Lakes. After that, we did not see or hear anyone else until the last day when we passed by Lane Lake again on the way out. Mosquitoes were surprisingly minimal until upper Piute Meadow. From then on, they were heavy to swarming until we got back upper Piute Meadow a few days later.

Did not follow the "standard" route into Stubblefield from Rainbow Canyon as there was still significant snow on the NW face of Ehrnbeck Peak. Rather than breaking off from the tarns and traversing Ehrnbeck, we left Rainbow Canyon well below the falls and angled SE up toward the saddle. Saddle itself is mostly snow free.

Lake in upper Stubblefield is still partially frozen. Upper part of canyon is still muddy from snow melt.

Did not follow Stubblefield all the way to the PCT as we generally avoid trails when possible, especially the JMT and PCT. Rather, we left the canyon where a small stream flows down the west wall starting at about the 8000 foot level. Followed it approx. 1500 feet up to a saddle above Tilden Lake between peaks 9914 and 10136. First 600 feet is relatively steep with some class 3 scrambling. There is a very nice waterfall and pool at approx. 8600'. The saddle itself is quite scenic with great views and several small ponds, so we took the opportunity to camp there :) The next morning, we traversed down to the north end of Tilden Lake and headed up to Mary Lake. Traverse down is easy walking.

The snowfield on the north side of Mary-Tower pass is still quite large, which made dropping to Tower Lake fairly easy as we did not have to do any boulder hopping! Tower is fully thawed and snow free. However, there are snow fields covering the trail immediately below Tower.

All in all, a very enjoyable and scenic lollipop loop, especially once you reach upper Piute Meadow, approx. 12 miles from Leavitt.

Near Rainbow Canyon
01.jpg
Looking across to Hawsbeak Peak as we climb to saddle above Stubblefield
02.jpg
Looking down on lake in upper Stubblefield from saddle
03.jpg
Looking down Stubblefield Canyon
04.jpg
Looking back up Stubblefield
05.jpg
Climbing up out of Stubblefield
06.jpg
One of several ponds on saddle between Stubblefield & Tilden
07.jpg
Looking down on Tilden
09.jpg
Tilden Lake
10.jpg

Mary Lake
11.jpg
Looking down on Tower Lake
12.jpg
Looking across Tower Lake back up at Mary-Tower pass
14.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Stubblefield Canyon - Tilden Lake loop from Leavitt

Post by kpeter »

What an interesting area! I've never been, looks fascinating. Looks like you had a good trip despite the skeets.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

Thank you for posting this trip report. This is one area that I want to visit. Lake Tilden and Dorothy Lake are on my list for this summer.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Thank you for posting the trip report. i have been to Tilden Lake and its environs once, way back in '76. Really liked it there.
It's on the schedule for the initial leg of my post-employment sierra summer walkabout planned for 2022.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thank you for the wonderful TR and pictures, to an area not frequented often. The Northern Yosemite Loop is the section which receives the most attention, but Stubblefield and Thompson Canyon have their appeal, and if one takes the time to look, there are some gems, like some of the lakes between the entrances of the two canyons, and between Thompson and Kerrick Canyon.
Surprised the mosquitoes were not horrible at Tilden Lake and Rainbow Canyon.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
lvray
Topix Acquainted

Post by lvray »

The mosquitoes were heavy at Tilden and in Rainbow. Essentially, they were only minimal below upper Piute Meadow along the Walker. Having lived in areas where they are far worse, we are fairly use to them, so they just don't bother us much.

Yes, canyons of Northern Yosemite are some of my favorite places in the Sierra. In part because of their beauty, but also because they are so seldom visited. Subblefield is actually one of my least favorite. Spiller below Horse Creek Pass, Slide Canyon below the slide, Thompson and Crazy Mule are among my favorites.