Walk-in for Bubbs? Gambling?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Walk-in for Bubbs? Gambling?

Post by commonloon »

An opportunity has presented itself for some more back country time ;-)

My hiking brother and "Retired" climber, and I want to do a couple of peaks. We're thinking:

Bubbs Creek to Lake Reflection ->
Little Joes Pass, Ericsson ->
LSA, Stanford ->
Tyndall Creek, Tyndall (West peak) or possibly Junction Peak ->
Returning via Forester

My question is are we likely to get a walk-in for Bubbs Creek the morning of? Do all the walk-ins get picked up the day before usually?

Thanks.

Level 4 backpacker, etc. etc.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Re: Walk-in for Bubbs? Gambling?

Post by limpingcrab »

No guarantee but I’m 4/4 on walk ins for Bubbs this year and last. It opens at 7am and there are often people waiting. I usually sleep in my car and get there early, sometimes nobody is there, sometimes there’s a line.

I’ve never tried for a group bigger than 2 so that could change things.
levi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by levi »

Two years ago I had no issues getting two Bubbs Creek permits on a random Wednesday in July around noon (for Rae Lakes Loop counterclockwise). This year for the weekend before July 4, I emailed the SEKI rangers and they were highly skeptical I'd get two permits day-of on a Saturday (6/30), stating that most walk-up permits for Bubbs are reserved the day before. (Unclear if that's on weekends only, and doesn't jibe with my prior weekday experience). So this year we began our trip from Kearsarge instead, obtaining permits in Bishop day-of. I'd probably gamble on the same-day walkups from Road's End on Sun-Thurs, but I'd be a little more wary on Fri/Sat?

That said, looking at the loop you're planning... I really loved getting into SEKI via Kearsarge Pass. I know it's a significantly longer drive for most people, including myself, but I vastly preferred that route over the section from Road's End up to Junction Meadow/East Lake trail. I'd consider entering from the east side if you can handle the extra drive, and the more sudden exposure to altitude, the views are insane. I also prefer Bishop to Fresno as the first town I drive through post-hike :)
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks guys! I was guessing getting there at 7am, but was worried we might need to be there after 1pm the day before (when I think next day permits become available). We can't get there the day before though.

We are considering Shepherd's also. It is actually a little shorter and I kind of enjoy Shepherd's. It is dramatic. Of course, this time of year it is also hot as hell on the lower bits. Kearsarge is easy, but the only times when I felt altitude sickness in the Sierra were when I hiked in via it. Something about the drive up/start altitude, I think.

Bishop is far superior to Fresno true.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

commonloon wrote: My question is are we likely to get a walk-in for Bubbs Creek the morning of? Do all the walk-ins get picked up the day before usually?

Thanks.

Level 4 backpacker, etc. etc.
What day of the week? It's a better bet on Monday, say, than on Saturday or Sunday.
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Captain Slappy »

commonloon wrote:We are considering Shepherd's also. It is actually a little shorter and I kind of enjoy Shepherd's. It is dramatic. Of course, this time of year it is also hot as hell on the lower bits. Kearsarge is easy, but the only times when I felt altitude sickness in the Sierra were when I hiked in via it. Something about the drive up/start altitude, I think. .
Not to hijack -- but is it easy to get a same day walk up permit for Sherpherd's? I have a trip next month starting from there, likely on a Thursday.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Not to hijack
:\
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

TehipiteTom - Wednesday. I'm leaning towards gambling and driving up super early hoping to get there by 7am-8am.

Captain Slappy - IMHO Shepherd's strenuous nature is a barrier for many so I'm not as worried about it filling. I think the Rae Lakes (and Bubbs Creek) loop is one of the busiest in the Sierra.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Normally there would be no issue on Wed, but just get there when they open and you should be okay, I say should be, because there has been an increase of backpackers coming to SEKI because of the Ferguson Fire, demand for the trails are much higher than usual.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Captain Slappy »

commonloon wrote:Captain Slappy - IMHO Shepherd's strenuous nature is a barrier for many so I'm not as worried about it filling. I think the Rae Lakes (and Bubbs Creek) loop is one of the busiest in the Sierra.
Good to know. I got a walk up for Bubbs Creek a few years ago without issue, but it was past Labor Day at that point.