Expanded version of Kaweah Basin 1992 trip report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Expanded version of Kaweah Basin 1992 trip report

Post by sekihiker »

Recently, I reviewed comments on the Kaweah Basin in HST. A number of them were negative and it seems like the general consensus is that the trip is not worth the trouble. Kaweah Basin is one of the most remarkable places I have visited since returning to California more than 30 years ago and I consider my hikes there to be among the best of my life.

The last few days, I re-scanned photos and put together a new report of my Kaweah Basin trip of 1992. I showed it to my wife and she thought it was little better than the original report. In fact, she preferred the quality of the photos in the original report and wasn't sure the 22 additional photos in the new report added that much. Copies of the log pages and the new maps didn't thrill her either.

I've decided to add the new report as an option for those who want to see what the trip was like in a little more detail.

Few hikers are prepared to take the trip as I did in 1992. I know I wouldn't be able to do it now. There's a big difference in fitness level between ages 47 and 74. Additionally, the hike requires some climbing skills and good familiarity with cross country travel.

If you are interested in the new, more detailed, report, it can be found at: http://www.sierrahiker.com/KaweahBasin/ ... index.html

The old report remains at: http://www.sierrahiker.com/KaweahBasin/index.html

PS - My wife looked at the new report again and now prefers it to the old report. :lol:
Last edited by sekihiker on Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Expanded version of Kaweah Basin 1992 trip report

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have been to Keweah Basin twice, and I think it is wonderful, but being north-facing it is hard to photograph. I got better photos the last time (at the HST meet-up where I missed everyone by a day :crybaby: ). First time was late season, and there was smoke in the air, shorter days, and very cold nights so it was not the best. Second time was earlier (July) and with the wildflowers and more snow it was much more enjoyable and photographs were better. Both trips Keweah Basin was just a part of a much longer trip of many destinations.

If those are scanned slides, once scanned you can partially correct the color deterioration if you have Photoshop. My old slides of that generation also have gone bad on color- either fading to cyan or fading towards red. If the color is too distorted to correct I just convert them to black and white. They look a lot better.

As far as "Is it worth it?", depends. If you look at it as only a destination, then maybe not. But getting there goes through fabulous areas, so I look at it as the whole package- and about every mile is stunning (although hard x-c travel sometimes). I spent two days in the basin on the meet-up trip; only one day previously. I think if I went again I would spend at least three days. Fishing was also good on lower Picket Creek lakes.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:25 pm If those are scanned slides, once scanned you can partially correct the color deterioration if you have Photoshop. My old slides of that generation also have gone bad on color- either fading to cyan or fading towards red. If the color is too distorted to correct I just convert them to black and white. They look a lot better.
For those of you who find the old colors distracting or inferior, here's a grayscale version: http://www.sierrahiker.com/KaweahBasin/ ... index.html
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

Bill,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful TR.

I too find the Kaweah basin incredible. However, to experience its beauty requires some work and an adventuresome spirit: No easy way to get in or to get out.

Also of interest to me during your day in the Kaweah Basin on August 29, 1992 was the weather you experienced and the view east of Mt Whitney. On that very day I took a photo from the summit of Mt Whitney of the Kaweah Basin to the west. My photo shows that the skies were solid overcast, but the features of the Basin were visible. That day on Mt Whitney we had snowfall too (as well as a few short periods of whiteout conditions).

Hope you return to the Kaweah Basin soon.

Jim
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Thanks for the report update Bill.
I think that there are many aspects to Kaweah that make it truly exceptional and "worth it": the Kaweah Basin creek with its recessed rocky sides; Picket Creek Lake; the glacial rocks in the west of the Basin; and certainly the remoteness is a reward to be reminded of how different a truly remote place can feel.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

sekihiker wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:16 pm For those of you who find the old colors distracting or inferior, here's a grayscale version: http://www.sierrahiker.com/KaweahBasin/ ... index.html
I love the color fading that is typical as photographs age. It helps bring my thoughts to the time when the photos were originally taken. Thanks for the trip update.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I wish I had realized the short life-span of slides. The few that I had prints made, and the prints protected from light in photo albums, fared better. Anyway, thanks for the gray-scale. I do like those better; just my personal preference.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

I very much enjoyed reading (or re-reading) your report. But I’m curious on a couple of points:
This was a decidedly QUICK trip for you; were you pressed for time, due to family/work constraints, or did you move that fast just because you could ? Also, I couldn’t find references (other than yours) to Kern-Kaweah Col; is it known now by a different name ? Thanks for posting.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Jim F wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:51 pm Bill,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful TR.

I too find the Kaweah basin incredible. However, to experience its beauty requires some work and an adventuresome spirit: No easy way to get in or to get out.

Also of interest to me during your day in the Kaweah Basin on August 29, 1992 was the weather you experienced and the view east of Mt Whitney. On that very day I took a photo from the summit of Mt Whitney of the Kaweah Basin to the west. My photo shows that the skies were solid overcast, but the features of the Basin were visible. That day on Mt Whitney we had snowfall too (as well as a few short periods of whiteout conditions).

Hope you return to the Kaweah Basin soon.

Jim
Thanks for the kind words, Jim. In so many ways, this was a special trip for me and it certainly wasn't designed to be the "best of all" planned hike to this special place. I had three days left before I had to be back to work. I was in good shape and looking for a physical and mental challenge. The conditions were not perfect but they added to the joy of the experience.
Last edited by sekihiker on Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

grampy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:42 am I very much enjoyed reading (or re-reading) your report. But I’m curious on a couple of points:
This was a decidedly QUICK trip for you; were you pressed for time, due to family/work constraints, or did you move that fast just because you could ? Also, I couldn’t find references (other than yours) to Kern-Kaweah Col; is it known now by a different name ? Thanks for posting.
I was pressed for time but I thought I could squeeze in one last hike for the season. I moved fast because I enjoyed hiking at that pace back then.

Kern-Kaweah Col has been/is also known as Pants Pass.

On the High Sierra Topix map - http://www.highsierratopix.com/high-sierra-map/map.php - it is called Pants Pass.

Here is the description when you select cross country passes and click on the icon: Pants Pass ☆ Class 2 pass. From Nine Lakes Basin, climb loose scree and talus to the top. There are actually two notches atop the pass. The correct notch is the higher one to the north, the southern, lower notch is class 3 on its western side.

I'm not sure what correct means in the description. Both times I've been over it, I used the class 3 lower notch and I'm not much of a climber.

Thanks for your comments and I'm glad you enjoyed the report.