Expanded version of Kaweah Basin 1992 trip report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Expanded version of Kaweah Basin 1992 trip report

Post by sekihiker »

Bishop_Bob wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:13 am I love the color fading that is typical as photographs age. It helps bring my thoughts to the time when the photos were originally taken. Thanks for the trip update.
Me too, Bob.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Thank you for the redo/repost. Kaweah/Picket Creek basins remain my favorite location in the Sierra. For me, there's something beyond merely magical about the place. And like you, age will probably prevent me from ever getting back there again. I did my own appreciation here.

http://laurencebrauer.com/PicketCreek-KaweahBasins.html
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

CAMERONM wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:52 am Thanks for the report update Bill.
I think that there are many aspects to Kaweah that make it truly exceptional and "worth it": the Kaweah Basin creek with its recessed rocky sides; Picket Creek Lake; the glacial rocks in the west of the Basin; and certainly the remoteness is a reward to be reminded of how different a truly remote place can feel.
Ditto, Cameron. Thanks for commenting.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Bill,

My belief is, that most backpackers spend way to little time in KB to really get a feel for it, and to come away with a deep sense of appreciation for it Bill.
Yes, it takes at least two days to reach, and therefore becomes a one, or possibly a two day stop for most, and for most, that second day is visiting Picket Creek Lake.
The basins upper, middle, lower parts, all have some special views to offer a photographer/backpacker, it is one of the most beautiful remote basins in all the Sierra!
Planning to revisit KB next year, spending at least 4-5 days there for my photography purposes.
It really is such a special place, and deserves as much time as one can spend in it. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

LMBSGV wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:28 am Thank you for the redo/repost. Kaweah/Picket Creek basins remain my favorite location in the Sierra. For me, there's something beyond merely magical about the place. And like you, age will probably prevent me from ever getting back there again. I did my own appreciation here.

http://laurencebrauer.com/PicketCreek-KaweahBasins.html
You're Welcome - and thanks for the link, Laurence. Your photos really capture the best of the area and the words in your Appreciation capture many of the feelings I've had while there.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

maverick wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:36 am Bill,

My belief is, that most backpackers spend way to little time in KB to really get a feel for it, and to come away with a deep sense of appreciation for it Bill.
Yes, it takes at least two days to reach, and therefore becomes a one, or possibly a two day stop for most, and for most, that second day is visiting Picket Creek Lake.
The basins upper, middle, lower parts, all have some special views to offer a photographer/backpacker, it is one of the most beautiful remote basins in all the Sierra!
Planning to revisit KB next year, spending at least 4-5 days there for my photography purposes.
It really is such a special place, and deserves as much time as one can spend in it. :nod:
Maverick -
I've always had itchy feet and hardly ever take a layover day.
If I ever return to KB, I will probably stay overnight.
I certainly won't be able to sprint through like I did in 92.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:21 am I wish I had realized the short life-span of slides. The few that I had prints made, and the prints protected from light in photo albums, fared better. Anyway, thanks for the gray-scale. I do like those better; just my personal preference.
Glad you appreciate it. The grayscale reminds me of some of Theodore Solomons' old reports. Of course his photos were always surrounded by lots of florid prose.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am thinking of Ansel Adams. He has a B&W called "Keweah Gap", but it really is of the cliffs at Precipice Lake. My husband took this photo in 2001 at the same place, except the lake was frozen and snow covered. I am beginning to appreciate B&W landscape photos more and more.

I see you too got a photo of this classic Ansel Adams location.

Kaweah 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:37 pm I see you too got a photo of this classic Ansel Adams location.
Your husband captured the scene well. Snow remains on the lake well into many summers. Adams really knew how to pick his subjects.

Around the corner is another interesting subject.

Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

Bill, thanks for the additional photos and details in your new report. I equally enjoyed both.

I visited the Kaweah Basin during the HST meetup and agree it is a special place, especially with views of the Kaweah Peaks throughout. The lush lower basin was much different than the rocky upper basin so there is really something for everyone. I haven’t seen any negative comments so would have to believe that they are intended to keep the area pristine. Actually, the area is not worth visiting. :)